Discuss bread and butter kitchen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

I have a question for all the people that would take more than a day on the kitchen in question. Why? The walls are good not newly plastered but in good condition. It's only 4.50m2 and as it goes a verry easy little job.
Perhaps it's not necessarily about speed [MENTION=7444]deanotile[/MENTION] maybe more of a question demographics or geographic's and what kind of work we're used to, don't u think?
I definitely agree with rossy, new build developments require that kinda completion time. Some situations, your timetable would be correct. In others, from MY personal experience I'd disagree. Based on the average kind of work I do. I'm not saying my kind of work is any better or more important than anyone else's, on the contrary. It's just the conditions I'm used to working in. If it was part of a major refit, I will guarantee it will require some kind of makin good first, WITHOUT fail. If a designer is involved, which is 95% of the time, they'll either require some impossible setting out perimeters or the use of some weird and wonderful product. And When I have to change what they've asked for, that then will need approval, and that may only take a phone or a FaceTime call. It's still time. I've waited on many occasions for designers and the such like who insist on a site visit first. And yes they all say "I'll be there within 30 mins!" Of course they are!
If it's in a occupied residence, then typically they'll expect the whole kitchen sheeted up and the work carried out as if I'm not even there. Haha I will have to work out of the back of my vehicle, all cutting will have to be done outside as will the mixing of any adhesives or grouts. In most situations that I find myself nowadays it's just not a case of walk in and smash it out! I truly don't remember the last time it was.
Coupled with I'd never use rapid on walls, unless there were special circumstances, I also wouldn't grout the same day. Most of the time they probably wouldn't even know what colour grout they wanted until they saw the tile in situ. Hence when pricing I'd allow 2 days. If it all went swimmingly and it took less time I'd be a very happy chappy and get a half day for a change or maybe even two early finishes. haha
But that's only my experience of the least 7-8 yrs.
i just don't seem to do that kind of work anymore Deano.

T

The D

Perhaps it's not necessarily about speed @deanotile maybe more of a question demographics or geographic's and what kind of work we're used to, don't u think?
I definitely agree with rossy, new build developments require that kinda completion time. Some situations, your timetable would be correct. In others, from MY personal experience I'd disagree. Based on the average kind of work I do. I'm not saying my kind of work is any better or more important than anyone else's, on the contrary. It's just the conditions I'm used to working in. If it was part of a major refit, I will guarantee it will require some kind of makin good first, WITHOUT fail. If a designer is involved, which is 95% of the time, they'll either require some impossible setting out perimeters or the use of some weird and wonderful product. And When I have to change what they've asked for, that then will need approval, and that may only take a phone or a FaceTime call. It's still time. I've waited on many occasions for designers and the such like who insist on a site visit first. And yes they all say "I'll be there within 30 mins!" Of course they are!
If it's in a occupied residence, then typically they'll expect the whole kitchen sheeted up and the work carried out as if I'm not even there. Haha I will have to work out of the back of my vehicle, all cutting will have to be done outside as will the mixing of any adhesives or grouts. In most situations that I find myself nowadays it's just not a case of walk in and smash it out! I truly don't remember the last time it was.
Coupled with I'd never use rapid on walls, unless there were special circumstances, I also wouldn't grout the same day. Most of the time they probably wouldn't even know what colour grout they wanted until they saw the tile in situ. Hence when pricing I'd allow 2 days. If it all went swimmingly and it took less time I'd be a very happy chappy and get a half day for a change or maybe even two early finishes. haha
But that's only my experience of the least 7-8 yrs.
i just don't seem to do that kind of work anymore Deano.
i don't agree that it is demographics or geographic. I think almost every tiler in the country has had a stint on tiling basic kitchens and I like to think I can hold my ground in any tiling situation from the very basic tiling to the high end bespoke work. You have included a lot of variables in your post but to be honest the question was quite simple how long and how much for the kitchen in my op as it is in the pic no architects no fussy customers no fancy tiling layouts jut a bread and butter bog standard kitchen splash back. Now if you do not do bog standard kitchens then more power to you but I'd find it hard to believe that a tiler that works constantly on high end jobs did not start at some point on basic bog standard jobs.

O

Old Mod

i don't agree that it is demographics or geographic. I think almost every tiler in the country has had a stint on tiling basic kitchens and I like to think I can hold my ground in any tiling situation from the very basic tiling to the high end bespoke work. You have included a lot of variables in your post but to be honest the question was quite simple how long and how much for the kitchen in my op as it is in the pic no architects no fussy customers no fancy tiling layouts jut a bread and butter bog standard kitchen splash back. Now if you do not do bog standard kitchens then more power to you but I'd find it hard to believe that a tiler that works constantly on high end jobs did not start at some point on basic bog standard jobs.
Omg of course I did! I cut my teeth on Barrat Housing Estates back in early 80's. And on that I agreed with rossy, u were expected to turn out 8-10m2 a day or go home. Which is what u did. To be honest I didn't even cast my mind back to that type of work. So I'll agree I may not have answered your question as you intended. Haha But I suppose that comes from our ability to have Artistic Licence in what we do for a living isn't it? Haha we answer the question we read, which is not necessarily the question that is written! Haha Pretty much in the way we tile a space in the way we like to see it done, which as we know, isn't necessarily the way the client intended! Hehe so does that make me self important, egotistical or just arrogant? I'd just go for Artistic! :thumbsup:
Apologies for not answering what u asked exactly.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
common guys, I'm not slow at all, but 1,5 -2 days not possible... unless there is only one window, no boxes, no recesses, no 100 of holes to drill... A tiler can do 15 sq.m of floor a day, but small bathroom is different. Only setting out will take couple of hours. What about setting your wet saw, bringing all tools on site, cleaning ...?

Not all of us get £100m2 for 6 x6 ceramics tony and can take our time ;)

S

Stef

common guys, I'm not slow at all, but 1,5 -2 days not possible... unless there is only one window, no boxes, no recesses, no 100 of holes to drill... A tiler can do 15 sq.m of floor a day, but small bathroom is different. Only setting out will take couple of hours. What about setting your wet saw, bringing all tools on site, cleaning ...?

Tony, I would have the bulk of that tiled on the 1st day, no wet saw a grinder or if needed my little Bricollina, they are ceramics, at that size of tile they would go up like a pack of cards..

C

charlie1

Setting out would take 15 mins. Remember, there are only 5 things to set around, floor, celing, window top/bottom and bath. Walls are perfect so just spread with 6mm trowel and stick them ceramics. you would do a wall per hour! Window wall would take 2-3 hours. I don't use a wet saw (ever) angle grinder. Bases and recesses will slow me down though. If rectified porcelain then different story, add another day

C

Colour Republic

Here's another one, just playing devil's advocate. How long it would take to do a 6ftx6ft bathroom walls and floor with bath fitted. Good walls and floor, no prep, basic 450x300 ceramic, plastic trim etc probably about 17m2.

I'm sorry Sir, we don't like to give estimates or time scales for jobs before we have seen them, as all bathrooms are different I'm sure you'll agree.

Would you like to arrange a time for us to come and view the job? :prrr::prrr::prrr:

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Setting out would take 15 mins. Remember, there are only 5 things to set around, floor, celing, window top/bottom and bath. Walls are perfect so just spread with 6mm trowel and stick them ceramics. you would do a wall per hour! Window wall would take 2-3 hours. I don't use a wet saw (ever) angle grinder. Bases and recesses will slow me down though. If rectified porcelain then different story, add another day
YOU ALSO WANT TO HAVE FULL TILE MODUAL in all corners , so it's actually more of setting out. Oh I forgot, I rearly use plastic trim.... I mainly do mitred corners :thumbsup:

C

charlie1

hey, tony, there are some real speed merchants out there, saw a guy turn out 2 rectified 20(ish) m2 porcelain bathrooms in one weekend, windows, bulkheads..,,, I was proper amazed!!

C

charlie1

YOU ALSO WANT TO HAVE FULL TILE MODUAL in all corners , so it's actually more of setting out. Oh I forgot, I rearly use plastic trim.... I mainly do mitred corners :thumbsup:

ok here one that toke me 2.5 days this week, poor walls, window, mitred metal trim, mesh mosaic image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 44

Reply to bread and butter kitchen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Just wondering everyone's thoughts on leveling schluter curbs. I'm installing a shower kit on...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! we have this beautiful porcelain floor down - there's 25 square metres of it. It...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB