Discuss bread and butter kitchen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
looks good Charlie, but I only saying that sometimes it is better to take time and do it perfect, I mean perfect perfect. I know I'm not cheap some times :) but I must be sure , I will do the job up to the high standard, and some times you can't just fly... Some times I charge £120 per sq.m for mosaics , and I can do 10-15 sq.m a day. Some times- only do 2 sq.m :thumbsup:

C

charlie1

I do my very BEST every time :thumbsup:

Gonna stick my neck out here and admit I don't, take for instance a standard ceramic bathroom as described above, I'm on a £ set sq m for it and I know there is a limit to how good it can look no matter how much I f4nny about with it...Slightly different tile sizes etc... I have learned to just let go a bit and tile in these situations. On the other hand, rectified polish porcelain doesn't really have a limit to how good it can look, there are always slight imperfections, breaking shadows etc, these jobs are on the other hand a labour of love and I give them my all and then some. I always look at a job and see where I can save time with it, my example above I saved a load of time by tiling full tile to ceiling then unscrewing frame and bringing it down to meet my tiles, so there is 16 tiles I don't need to point to point mark/cut. Also, I try to tile every wall totally plumb then the next wall every cut will be straight or I can even start full tile if looks ok so more time saved.

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Try having a crack at your very best every time on £13 a meter with window reveals and boxings out of square, walls in and out like a fiddlers elbow and seriously cheap ready mix, it gets thrown in to look just about passable,
some years ago, I was on £4.50 per hour, and I was doing my very BEST ! I will always do my very best, no matter what , because I love what I do. This is on only about money. If you do you very best- money will come too... :thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

Try having a crack at your very best every time on £13 a meter with window reveals and boxings out of square, walls in and out like a fiddlers elbow and seriously cheap ready mix, it gets thrown in to look just about passable,

Do you know what I wouldn't even bother. I'd charge to re do the prep. If they won't pay I won't do it, not any more.

I spent some of my early years working for landlords who wouldn't pay and only wanted bodge jobs, being young and stupid I thought it was the key to bigger and better jobs. It never was. It's soul destroying work.

i know some guys on here have struggled over the last few years and would do anything to put food on the table and I get that. But I'll tell you now I'd rather sell my tools and change career than go back to doing jobs that I'm not proud of and that is the Gods honest truth. Not saying every job I do is a masterpiece but I'm proud of them all and is always way higher than just passable.

R

Rossymcg

Do you know what I wouldn't even bother. I'd charge to re do the prep. If they won't pay I won't do it, not any more.

I spent some of my early years working for landlords who wouldn't pay and only wanted bodge jobs, being young and stupid I thought it was the key to bigger and better jobs. It never was. It's soul destroying work.

i know some guys on here have struggled over the last few years and would do anything to put food on the table and I get that. But I'll tell you now I'd rather sell my tools and change career than go back to doing jobs that I'm not proud of and that is the Gods honest truth. Not saying every job I do is a masterpiece but I'm proud of them all and is always way higher than just passable.

no landlords these are QS's from national house builders that sqeeze down the prices, I don't work for the general public as a rule, I know what standard is required for the house builder, they get what they're paying for, everyone is happy, I love working on new housing as much as I love using some quality materials, but it's just not possible to make a perfect job every time in the real unromantic work of the construction industry

C

Colour Republic

Landlords, qs, architects, home owners... It doesn't matter who is asking it's all the same to me. If I'm not enjoying my job or proud of it, that's the day I get out.

I've never done much house bashing apart for the odd week/month dotted here and there over the years. My site work is mainly confined to commercial sites, mostly office refurbs. Whilst interesting some of the buildings i've worked in, it can burn you out with all the travel.

I'd say parts of the construction trade are romantic, that's why I do domestics, I certainly enjoy the design through to completion. 98% of my work is domestic as it suits me better and gives me the rewards I want. I also dictate how the job is going to be done.

This is just my personal view, not slating or think others are wrong for doing it there way. Each to their own.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
What's the half day for that a lot are mentioning? If it's grouting, any 6-8mm trowelled splashback will be dry enough to grout within the hour and even then grouting should only take 40mins-1 hour including waiting for a second wash/polish.

Just curious as to what makes it take that long, really can't get my head around it.

was thinking that myself, even if you just tiled the first day would it really take half a day to grout 4.5 meters of kitchen tiles? and then what ? do you go home or start another job..?

im not knocking it if you can get 2 days money for a small kitchen then fair play to you.... round my way you wouldn't stand a chance of getting more than a days pay for that, I would sooner knock it on the head in one day and move on to a fresh job in the morning.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bread and butter kitchen in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Just wondering everyone's thoughts on leveling schluter curbs. I'm installing a shower kit on...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! we have this beautiful porcelain floor down - there's 25 square metres of it. It...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB