UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss calling all you creative tilers! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jack.bauer

doing a new ensuite and both myself and the mrs fancy the laura ashley marchmont range. I cant post a link as im new (or something the other) but if you type "laura-ashley-marchmont/white-french-blue" in google, the first result will show you what im on about (takes you to the british ceramic tiles website)

question.

the tiles are 25x40, i intend to place them vertically.
the stock photograph shows these against a white square floor tiles
im i right to think the floor tiles must be 25x25? i say this because when placed vertically on the wall, the width will be 25cm. and in order to follow the grout line on where the wall meets the floor, the floor tiles must also be 25cm?

also, take it this are ok in the shower enclosure yes? i dont normally get ceramic but we really like this design and they're made by BCT which i hear is a good manufacturer?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Although it might show in the photo's the floor tiles perfectly meeting the wall tiles (grout-line-wise) - it's near on impossible to do in a real bathroom unless the room is perfectly square (and I don't mean the square shape I mean each of the corners is a perfect 90 degrees).

What you tend to find is possible sometimes, is you can get one wall to meet the wall on the opposite side, and the grout lines run down the wall across the floor and back up the other wall. But then the two 'end' walls wont meet the grout joints.

Often you can only get one wall to meet the floor and the other three don't fall in square.

So I'd perhaps give that a lot more thought and get a square out in the bathroom to test. You might be really lucky.

If you haven't got a square, use the 3,4,5 method. If you measure out from the corner 30 inches across one wall and mark there, then measure 40 inches from the same corner across the other wall and mark that there, then the two marks should be exactly 50 inches. If it's great than that, the corner is greater than 90 degrees, if it's shorter than 50 inches, the corner is less than 90 degrees / square.

BCT are good. They're british. Often ranges are imported mind. Though they do make some still. And they're still british.

J

jack.bauer

Although it might show in the photo's the floor tiles perfectly meeting the wall tiles (grout-line-wise) - it's near on impossible to do in a real bathroom unless the room is perfectly square (and I don't mean the square shape I mean each of the corners is a perfect 90 degrees).

What you tend to find is possible sometimes, is you can get one wall to meet the wall on the opposite side, and the grout lines run down the wall across the floor and back up the other wall. But then the two 'end' walls wont meet the grout joints.

Often you can only get one wall to meet the floor and the other three don't fall in square.

So I'd perhaps give that a lot more thought and get a square out in the bathroom to test. You might be really lucky.

If you haven't got a square, use the 3,4,5 method. If you measure out from the corner 30 inches across one wall and mark there, then measure 40 inches from the same corner across the other wall and mark that there, then the two marks should be exactly 50 inches. If it's great than that, the corner is greater than 90 degrees, if it's shorter than 50 inches, the corner is less than 90 degrees / square.

BCT are good. They're british. Often ranges are imported mind. Though they do make some still. And they're still british.

hey Dan. nice tip there. will see how that goes

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to calling all you creative tilers! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views
R
Evening All, I wonder if you can help me.. I'm trying to contact as many tilers as possible in...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M
I have enjoyed a vast difference in tiling work this year. I am just finishing a wet room -...
Replies
Views
Aston
A
Hi Guys & Girls Iv been tiling for just over two years now. Needed a career change after years...
Replies
Views
dbstiling
D
D
If you are "up north" in Harrogate or around then why not swing by the Tiling Show. Its the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.