UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Can anyone give me a bit of advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chris.s

Hello. I was after a bit of advice from the people in the know.
I am planning to re-tile my quadrant shower enclosure but am slightly concerned that when I remove the old tile I am likely to remove a fair bit of plaster/render as well.
I am planning on tanking the enclosure with a mapei kit before installing mosaic tiles. I would like to get the bulk of the work done over one weekend if possible.
What I would like some advice on is what type of filler would be safe to use? The tanking kit says that you should leave the following minimum drying times;
Gypsum plaster-4 weeks (one week for skim coat),
Cement/sand render-2 weeks
Concrete-6 weeks
I have heard that you can use rapid set tile adhesive to fill deep holes by building up several layers, is this true and if so would it make a suitable base for the liquid membrane, once it has been primed?
I do not actually know the depth or extent of any holes as I've not taken the tiles off yet.
I have solid brick walls, not plasterboard.
Any tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

C

chris.s

Hi there.
Some progress has been made, however I think I might have opened a can of worms.
I have now removed the shower enclosure and the old tiles. The render behind these however is in a pretty bad state with large areas patched in and filled and other bits blown.
My thoughts now are to take all the render off back to the brickwork, then attach a backer board directly to the bricks, I do not have the depth needed to fit a timber frame to the wall.
I have seen several posts and suggestions on how to do this but I don't really know the pros and cons of each so if I let you all know my thoughts perhaps someone with the necessary knowledge can tell me what to do.
Aquapanel - I have read that this cannot be dot and dabbed directly to masonry, however I have also read that if you anchor through the board into the brick then this is suitable.
Hardibacker board- As far as I can make out this can be dot and dabbed directly to the masonry although it doesn't seem to be so widely available.
I realise that neither of these are technically waterproof so I intend to use the liquid tanking membrane I already bought over the top prior to tiling to prevent problems down the line.
Sorry this post is a bit rambling, but I don't know what the best solution is and I would like to do the job right.
Cheers.

C

chris.s

If your using a liquid tanking why not just dot and dab plasterboard to the wall.....

I have heard that it can be a little difficult to get an even layer of the liquid membrane on the wall so I was thinking that a water resistant backing board might be a safer solution.
I want to minimise the chances of things going wrong at a later date now that I've got an opportunity to start from scratch.
Am I going over the top?

C

chris.s

Hello.
I've now got several sheets of hardiebacker board to line my shower enclosure. I spoke to their customer support team the other day and was told that I need to use galvanised screws (I'm guessing masonry screws) to mechanically fix them to the wall in addition to dot and dabbling them.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this and could someone please tell me where I can get a galvanised masonry screw.
I'm getting a bit fed up of having to take baths.
Thanks.

C

chris.s

screwfix or toolstation would be good for your screws, basically you want screws that wont rust

This is where I am having a slight problem, I'm not sure how rust resistant I need these screws to be. The ones in toolststion are ' zinc & Yellow Passivated' which are not suitable for exterior use.
http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=62108
Having said that, if the screws are going to get as wet as if they were outside then I've not tiled my shower very well have I?
Does anyone know if this degree of rust resistance will be sufficient or can anyone recommend a particular type or brand?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can anyone give me a bit of advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.