Discuss Can i get qualified on the job... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Q&A: Can I get qualified 'on the job'? The domain www.buildersbox.co.uk is registered by NetNames - http://www.buildersbox.co.uk/blogs/builders-skills/2008/02/qa-can-i-get-qualified-on-the.html

Age-legislation-2.jpg
I've been in the industry for years and have built up my skills on the job. But now I'm getting asked for proof of my skills and qualifications by some contractors. I don't want to go to college at my age - what can I do?
Luckily, this is a common problem in the construction industry, and there are two routes to help you get qualified.

On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT)
This helps experienced workers get the qualifications to prove they can do the job. It turns your existing skills and experience into a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ or SVQ.
The whole process is carried out through a number of visits on site so you don't have to take time off to go to college.
This also helps you qualify for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card - important if you want to work on big construction projects.
For more information about OSAT, visit the OSAT sectionof the ConstructionSkills website.
Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA)
This is a fast route through the ConstructionSkills/City & Guilds awarding body. It is available for workers with a minimum of five years experience and who don’t need any further training.
It involves spending a day having your skills and knowledge assessed at an off-site location, normally your NVQ centre. This can sometimes be done at weekends.
All the skills needed to pass the NVQ are included in one task, which is observed by an approved assessor. It is currently only available for certain trades.
For 4 quick and easy steps to EWPA, visit the EWPA section of the Construction Skills website.

Last edited by a moderator:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
North East Tiling Training will be a registered EWPAR assessment centre within the next week. We will have full CITB registration to deliver this 1 day assessment. It is for experienced workers only that have proof of experience for at least the last 5 years. The assessment entails, a recorded discussion of background job knowledge and a tiling task to be completed in the centre itself from a given job sheet, you will also have to have undertaken the CSCS test at your local centre. Once assessed and if passed, your NVQ certificate will follow very quickly.
Any enquires tel Tracey on 0191 4274529

G

grumpygrouter

Good post Dave, very useful.:thumbsup:

Grumpy
----
North East Tiling Training will be a registered EWPAR assessment centre within the next week. We will have full CITB registration to deliver this 1 day assessment. It is for experienced workers only that have proof of experience for at least the last 5 years. The assessment entails, a recorded discussion of background job knowledge and a tiling task to be completed in the centre itself from a given job sheet, you will also have to have undertaken the CSCS test at your local centre. Once assessed and if passed, your NVQ certificate will follow very quickly.
Can I book a date for 4 years and 2 months time please!:grin:

Grumpy

C

ChaseTiling

Good to see another centre taking the training and assessment route seriously.

:)

C

Camcore

Q&A: Can I get qualified 'on the job'?

Age-legislation-2.jpg
I've been in the industry for years and have built up my skills on the job. But now I'm getting asked for proof of my skills and qualifications by some contractors. I don't want to go to college at my age - what can I do?
Luckily, this is a common problem in the construction industry, and there are two routes to help you get qualified.

On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT)
This helps experienced workers get the qualifications to prove they can do the job. It turns your existing skills and experience into a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ or SVQ.
The whole process is carried out through a number of visits on site so you don't have to take time off to go to college.
This also helps you qualify for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card - important if you want to work on big construction projects.
For more information about OSAT, visit the OSAT sectionof the ConstructionSkills website.
Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA)
This is a fast route through the ConstructionSkills/City & Guilds awarding body. It is available for workers with a minimum of five years experience and who don’t need any further training.
It involves spending a day having your skills and knowledge assessed at an off-site location, normally your NVQ centre. This can sometimes be done at weekends.
All the skills needed to pass the NVQ are included in one task, which is observed by an approved assessor. It is currently only available for certain trades.
For 4 quick and easy steps to EWPA, visit the EWPA section of the Construction Skills website.
Both outside links are dead
icon9.gif

C

ChaseTiling

Hi Camcore

If you visit [DLMURL]http://www.caalliance.co.uk[/DLMURL] and click on search for a centre or qualification the information will be available for you. This is the website address as Construction Skills has changed its name to Construction Awards Alliance.

You can also get information about O.S.A.T. and E.W.P.A. from myself or the Admin Team at Chase Tiling.

Regards

Phil - Qualified NVQ Assessor

Chase Tiling

C

ChaseTiling

easy peasy and worthwhile.
Did my NVQ through OSAT with Leeds college of building,
totally free for me !

Hi Forum Members

Please see our recent post in the Tiling Courses section headed funded tuition fees.

Chase Tiling can draw down funding for NVQ's level 2 and level 3 through O.S.A.T.

Leatherface is correct it's an easy process and worthwhile doing. The assessor visits you at your place of work to assess you for your qualification.

The EWPA route is also available in Wall and Floor tiling.

We have assessors for Wall and Floor Tiling, Plastering and Dry Lining.

Anyone that is interested please contact our centre.

Regards

Margaret

Chase Tiling

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
If you have a city and guilds you wont need an nvq, all you will need is A CSCS card which will cost you £17.50 for the test and £25 to get the card, that will get you on a building site.
Go to [DLMURL="http://www.cscs.uk.com/RunScript.asp?p=ASP\Pg0.asp"]CSCS - Construction Skills Certification Scheme[/DLMURL] for details

Reply to Can i get qualified on the job... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Tamworth based Instarmac Group plc are delighted to have been officially named as a ‘Great Place...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
G
Hi guys, After spending time carefully prepping a small ensuite with backer board, a local...
Replies
Views
SJPurdy
S
J
Hi I'm Jonny, I am Director of a national tiling and flooring company. We are based in...
Replies
Views
D man
D
Subscribe to this forum category and you'll get emails when jobs are posted. Do that by...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
T
Hi Everyone, First time I've tried tiling and I'm having problems getting the tiles to stay up...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Can i get qualified on the job...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.