Discuss cant compete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hillhead

I arrived back on site today, i had ordered tiles, adhesives etc 2 weeks ago.
Customer was to go in and pay before delivery.
So i got there, no tiles or anything.
So today we done very little, replaced some plasterboard, built a ramp for a shower.
I had to go lift the tiles and all this evening.
So after this ...... £180 onto the invoice for farting about.
Not my problem.
Low rates sicken me but we have to fight it.

P

Pebbs

a job i recently priced up 1500 m2 600x600 porc and ditra.
not got job i am shell shocked, some body has gone in at 6.50 m2 for the tiling
i may as well pack in
:yikes::yikes::yikes: :mad2:

I felt sick when I read this, thats labour only yes? another kick in the face, and its like that all over at the moment. I lost another job today to do a mock up at a hotel, because someone has gone in and offered to do it free or so the client tells me. Then in the next breath offered me the penthouse suite mock up...if we do it for free...I dont run a charity, the lads have rent, mortgages, bills and child maintenance to pay, so I am not curtailing to a client who thinks we are all a load of scumbags, while he can travel buisiness class for a jolly to Italy.

Im furious about this rate offered to you Nybor, wait till the scumbag client rings you up to put the work right and double your rate, what goes around comes around.

Lynn

O

ozboz

This idiotic undercutting will be the death of us, but it is inevitable when there is a combination of shortage of work, glut of labour and explotation of labour. my prices are lower than 4 years ago, and now I supply addy and grout, and there is no extra if quantity of material blows out due to uneven screed etc, fortunatley cost of accomodation is holding at a reasonable rate , even in London !. I priced a 1000 m2 of 20mm marble in a big house here in Salford, I was asked to sharpen my pencil !! the QS had cocked up and forgot to price all the triangular border work and insets etc, !! . they expected me to knock a 1/3rd off the price and do all the borders etc in with the m2 price, I had to walk away, but yes, they got some one to do it.

turnip

TF
Arms
"people sticking ceramics on site 15pounds per m2, never heard of this price"
I havent heard of any contractors paying over 12£ a metre for ceramics in years, many pay 8-10£, even for porcelain if they can get away with it, yes, to english tilers not just foreign ones. blokes working on the olympics for 80£/day.
the O/P, 6.5£ is ridiculous but a team with labourers will cut the price in half, maybe 2 tilers and 3 labourers could still make an average return, labourers in the south making 50 a day, feeding the tilers and mixing all day its possible., dont know about up north, 30/day I heard, or use of apprentices, no minimum wage for an apprentice and you work them hard, basically free labour.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
just had a old mate of mine from secondry school on facebook ask me to join his plastering/tiling/joinery/painting/plumbing contractors group,he is a good lad,a old mate,who left school to become a HGV driver,he has lost his job,and become all of the above:yikes:
,he has put up a few photos of work,i asked him if it was a climbing wall he was doing:lol:.
seriously,this is what good tradesmen are up against,really not cricket:ban:

H

hillhead

I have priced a big one myself at £20 yd2 which is just under £17 m2.
I have over 150m2 of ditra to go down too which is extra etc.
Big job overall including bathrooms etc so i might never hear any more about it.
By the way the main tiles i'v quoted for are 600 x 600 x 20mm polished marble set on diamond so no easy job as my overall quote reflects.
Time will tell soon enough, one way or the other i'm not budging.

Reply to cant compete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Bit of an intro - I'm a competent DIYer and have been refurbing the bathroom on and off for the...
Replies
Views
L
S
Ok so just putting this out there for a mate of mine to see if anyone would like to take on...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

rotherham

Thread Information

Title
cant compete
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.