UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Ceramic Tiling Concrete Floor preparation Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Paul must deside what is quicker, remove all paint and make alot of dust or stick ditra (dust free)
If dusty use a consolidating primer. Ditra will not stick tomdust any better than tiles. Surface shouldmbe dust free. Once sanded suck up the dust with a vaccuum cleaner

M

Mike Mike

EVERYONE has given him the wrong advice here. What is the matter with you lot.

You don't have to remove any paint, or waste any money on Ditra mat.

Just spread out a layer of sand about 1cm thick over the floor. Then re-screed it 10 cm thick, and use some reinforcing matting (stainless steel). Leave to dry for 10 weeks. They tile directly to it. The sand will act as a de-coupling membrane (same as Ditra, but much cheaper). This is how it was done for the last 3,000 years.

You see, there is ALWAYS more than one, two, or even three, ways to skin a cat... :lol:

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london

Just spread out a layer of sand about 1cm thick over the floor. Then re-screed it 10 cm thick, and use some reinforcing matting (stainless steel). Leave to dry for 10 weeks. They tile directly to it. The sand will act as a de-coupling membrane (same as Ditra, but much cheaper). This is how it was done for the last 3,000 years.

You see, there is ALWAYS more than one, two, or even three, ways to skin a cat... :lol:

you would build new house quicker :lol:

P

PaulJ220

Seems like everyone has there own method for this job :smilewinkgrin:

I ended up giving Mapie a call and they advice I remove as much paint as I can then Prime with There primer G before applying there Ultraplan restoration screed Self leveling compound,

So I've purchased the above with a angle grinder for the paint,

Removing the paint is going to be a ***** but I'll give it a go:mad2:

M

Mike Mike

Seems like everyone has there own method for this job :smilewinkgrin:

I ended up giving Mapie a call and they advice I remove as much paint as I can then Prime with There primer G before applying there Ultraplan restoration screed Self leveling compound,

So I've purchased the above with a angle grinder for the paint,

Removing the paint is going to be a ***** but I'll give it a go:mad2:

Now that's interesting. That is EXACTLY what I suggested to someone about a week ago, except sand with a rotary floor machine instead of an angle grinder, to remove and loose or flaking paint, prime with Uzin acrylic primer then trowel on a thin coat of smoothing compound, leave 2 hours then begin tiling. And I got no end of abuse and nonsense from people who have never done anything other than spend 'n' hours filling the house with (probably toxic) dust by trying to get all the paint off with an angle grinder! And despite the fact I've beend doing exactly that for 18 years and never had an installation failure, or a problem.

Seems the Tech Dept at Mapei also know what they're talking about...

Before you spend money on an angle grinder (sounds like you don't own one), see if you can hire a rotary floor machine. If you can, it will be a hundred times faster to sand the paint down to an acceptable level. Et voila, even in England, rotary floor sanders exist. HSS Hire - Commercial Floor Finishing Sander Hire and Rent Seems a bit of a lightweight one, stick a bag of self levelling compound on top of it while you're sanding to give it extra weight, and use the coarsest sand paper they have (24 grit, or even 16 if they have it).

That's what I'd do. A lot less dust and crap all over the house, and you'll sand it within 45 minutes. Once you've put your Mapei SLC on and it has dried, wizz over it with the sander again (10 minutes) and you're ready to tile.

C

charlie1

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire

Blimey....talk aboutretro... :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
if you go to a tool hire shop and hire a needle gun and give that a go first to remove the paint, then if that's no good take it back and ask for a scabbler, this will deffo removethe paint........

Hmmmm.... A needle gun is a scabbler??

M

Mike Mike

Hmmmm.... A needle gun is a scabbler??

LOL, I was going to ask what "a needle gun" was because I've never heard that term before.

A scabbler is a bit OTT for getting paint off a floor (great if you want to remove half the floor). Rotary sander will get all the loose paint off, and will key the ingrained and well stuck paint ready for receiving primer and SLC. I'm doing my basement toilet precisely with this method this weekend, and did my laundry room last week. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about re trying to remove all the paint??? It's paint, not the bubonic plague :lol:

P

PaulJ220

Hi Paul, I'm interested on the advice you got from mapei! They advised using primerG with renovatiion screed? I called them a few weeks ago and there tech dept categorically advised Eco prime with this product and not primerG! ....I'm confused!

Yeh charlie I was first adviced to use the Eco Prime but that wasn't instock at my local stockist so Mapei said Primer G would also be fine As they did have that in stock,

I Bought a dewalt grinder so I'm going to give that ago on the paint, Just waiting for my attachments to arrive so I can crackon with it, Even if i don't remove all the paint I can give it a damn good keying :smilewinkgrin:

Cheers for all the great adivce though peeps :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ceramic Tiling Concrete Floor preparation Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.