Discuss Cleaning flagstones and sealing?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jon Stones

Hopefully someone here can help me.
in 10yrs of cleaning and restoring slate/ terracotta/ sandstone/ marble/ granite ect have just been to look at first flagstone floor and boy is it a mess.
whilst it have never been worried about taking on a task of restoring a stone floor and failing this one has me a bit concerned.
first of al floor is grubby (shouldn't be a prob to clean) but what concerned me is that some are crumbling the lime grout has gone in places and cement has been used where corners have been lost.
their appears to be no damp in floor although there is no damp course but their are signs of efforesance in places.
any suggestions appreciated pebs

Last edited by a moderator:

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Hi Jon, once floor is cleaned / repaired be aware that any topical finishes ,waxes/ emulsions will/ can trap moisture . This can lead to water staining whitening of the sealer/finish and possible spalling ( bloating of the stone/ delamination) even a breathable impregnator can cause issues pushing moisture to the walls even. If you are wanting to use an impregnator try a water based as this won't bite you ( show application marks) as a solvent one may . Possibly recommend maintain only if there is real moisture issues and let it all breath as it has done for a hundered years

Cheers

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cleaning flagstones and sealing?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

T
Hi, Looking for advice please. 2 problems! We have just had encaustic tiles laid in our...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
I have some 100mm sq limestone tiles that are being fixed in my bathroom and need to seal them...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
T
Hi guys I am after a bit of advice. I have spent some time reading through posts but it all...
Replies
Views
O
Is it feasible to grout crema g Limestone prior to sealing? Not something I would normally do...
Replies
Views
M
Hello anyone got any tips on sealing silver travertine prior to grouting? It has been laid for 1...
Replies
Views
swanman
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB