Discuss Concrete floor advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Linear Tiler

Hi all. Looked at a job which is an integral double garage. My client has ordered 900 x 450 slate effect porcelain tiles in black. The floor area is just over 27sqm. The floor is concrete and in pretty good nick in terms of flatness and being level.

The reason I need a bit of advice is it will still be used as a garage and the tiles will have an M3 sat on them every night.

So...

Will the substrate need to be 100% (not just close to) flat and level?
Would an uncoupling membrane (such as Schluter ditra or ditra-XL) be needed?
Any ideas on edging to entrance of garage? (was thinking stainless steel sq edge?)

and just to check, as I don't normally have cars running over my installations, will a flex addy be good enough or do I need to be adding some sort of ad mix to give extra flex?

Help and advice much needed!

You shouldn't have any problems as long as you maintain 100% coverage, I would go with a minimum of 13mm round notched trowel, back butter the tiles with the flat side of the trowel as well, just to make sure that you are getting 100% coverage, as for trim, I would go for an angled trim rather than square, but that's just me. No need for a membrane but use a good flexi adhesive.

A

akinsontiles

This may be suitable from schluter and would be available special order from your CTD http://www.schluter.com/1_2_reno_ramp.aspxou

However before you order it check that they agree it would be suited to have the weight of a car going over it daily.

I agree that from an expansion point of view the slab shouldn't need expansion joints running through the field of tiles but I would leave 4-5mm expansion at all the edges where tiles meet the walls and fill with silicone to allow for potential lateral movement from the forward motion of the car pulling away.

J

jay

This may be suitable from schluter and would be available special order from your CTD http://www.schluter.com/1_2_reno_ramp.aspxou

However before you order it check that they agree it would be suited to have the weight of a car going over it daily.

I agree that from an expansion point of view the slab shouldn't need expansion joints running through the field of tiles but I would leave 4-5mm expansion at all the edges where tiles meet the walls and fill with silicone to allow for potential lateral movement from the forward motion of the car pulling away.

have to agree with that a bit of a concern

Reply to Concrete floor advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Concrete floor advice needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.