UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss cracked travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All

Ive got a really nice job ive been recommended for, 77 sq mtrs of travertine.

The customers father has had a shop install about 120 sq mtrs in his house through the ground floor. 60x60 tiles with a high gloss finish(thats another tread coming im afraid). there are some long runs with a grout line cut through the door ways. The tiles seem solid,not dot and dabbed or anything but there is cracks running through the tiles in runs some 3 mtrs long and then going off in another direction, these are all over the floor in all different rooms. i went to see it today as the customer is worried his floor will do the same, i said i would be devastated if my worked cracked like that.
There is underfloor heating (water system) and im wondering if this was turned on to quickly but he said its been down 3 years and the cracks are getting worse, im now thinking the floor has failed. i did notice a crack all along the edge where the doors are to the garden and some skirting board looked like it was coming away.
Would this be movement in the screed or something more serious, i dont believe the tilers are at fault as tapping the tiles they seem solid and even along the cracks they dont sound blown or hollow.

I said id ask on here for any info as he said they might want me to replace some of the tiles, i wouldnt like to do the work as the shop has sent back tilers to replace a couple of tiles in a door way and they have cracked already,only weeks old.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Mark

MS.Tiles

to be honest i dont know, it was done 3 years ago and my customers father wasnt there.
The shop sent people back a few weeks ago to dig up a couple of tiles and replace them so would it not be possible to do this with a dura matting or similar down.
The tiles are not loose along the cracks.

Im sorry i dont have to much info but with no matting and a standard screed on top of underfloor heating,cracks everywhere,could it be the screed.
Without all the info i know its only speculation on what it could be but atleast its something i can go back with and come up with a plan,even if its digging up a cracked tile to look at the floor below.

ok
i dont think i can get these answers for you and it might not be worth the time replacing the tiles if they are going to crack again.
when i meet up with the customer next time i'll ask if he can get any info on the screed etc and then maybe come back to this thread.
With regards to the actual job im going to do,would it be best to use a decoupling membrane,its 77 mtrs through 4 different rooms and a basement floor all with underfloor heating,probably 70mm selotex then 50mm screed. how much of a difference does it make. i did something similar 2 years ago with 60x60 porcelain and didnt use one,went back last week to have a look and its exactly how i left it.

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Any expansion joints installed.?

If theres movement in the floor and no expansion joints this will cause loads of problems. Has the grout crack and crumbled out. Best way is to crack a few tiles up and have a good look. Water heated floors are good there must be loads of expansion in the substrate. Post some pics?
Get good advice from a reputable adhesive manufacture (if theres one out there lol) and follow what they say then any probs go back to them.

Oh and travertine comes in all types of quality and its not the strongest product in the word. :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bugs183

Uncoulpling membranes do work, and are good for peace of mind. I've fixed loads of floors without them and had no problems (luckily!), but now it is common practice with good tilers to at least suggest to the customer that at a membrane is needed, balls in the customers court then. ways
Use an uncoupling membrane on the new floor, especially on an area of that size and with various door, these add stress points, expansion joints can be tricky because of the UFH, but certainly leave an ungrouted gap (10mm) between the tiles and the walls.
If the cracks in the tiles are in lines, then it's the screed thats moved or moving. Travertine is very unlikely to crack a screed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
sounds to me like the screed has sunk and is pulling a part you wil have to chop up a line of tiles and a patch of the screed to see if it surported under neath get a bucket of water tip in hole see if it flows a way quikly or the sceed holds it good luck

Hmm interesting test. What will it hope to demonstrate??

2012-02-29 14.51.40_resized.jpg 2012-02-29 14.51.57_resized.jpg 2012-02-29 15.00.12_resized.jpg 2012-02-29 15.07.18_resized.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi
to be honest i don't know. if it was wood then heating then screed what could be the cause.
Could it be the house has just settled and created all the cracks,it's a new build about 4-5years old. although the cracking has got worse over the last year

That is probably quite a key peice of info. I suspect it is the shrinkage and movement associated with the screed. Up to a couple of years ago in the time frame we have had relatively mild winters but the last couple and most particularly last year we have had much colder. This would necesitate turning the heating up to compensate. This would encourage additional movement and possibly cracking of the screed due to thermal issues. An uncoupling membrane was probably essential in this installation as it would have helped alleviate the lateral stress created by the shrinkage.

One other question, if you place a straight edge over one of the cracks at right angles to the line of the crack is there noticable deviation across the crack. This would indicate some curling which is also a function of cement screeds.

I personally think thetimber bit is a red herring but i am willing to be proved wrong.

Reply to cracked travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am renovating an old shower and was hoping to reuse the concrete shower pan. It is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.