UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Critical news for ALL TILERS (or is it?) As a professional tiler you dedcide.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

the whole ethos behind the cscs system was that everyone who traded was competant to do so

those of us who have complied have been seriously let down by the current system, I understand the argument about the unqualified working as people will employ them. let them, they will learn the hard way to go to an insured qualified tradesmaan

But what does that achive Mike? these people are causing damage now without this system and it will be no different if it were to come in. The only difference is that it may force good timeserved tradesmen who don't have the qulifications to no longer be able to get insurance.

In anycase an NVQ doesn't makes you a professional in my eyes. That all depends on the person.

S

Slowly Learning

I have no formal qualification in tiling. I do however have insurance up the yang and carry documents and portfolio of work to show my customers on first conatact. I only do domestic work and touch wood have always left my customers happy to recommend me. I do understand the need to keep the chancers out as I am Part P qualified and pay throught the nose to be on a scheme to allow me to comlplete electrical work. However I just dont have the funds or the time to get an NVQ2 in tiling if this is to come in I would be forced into hanging up my trowels and miss doing a trade that I really enjoy. Is this a real possibility or just some training centres ploy to get people through the door? Who would we have to contact to confirm building control?

G

Gazzer

I'd be surprised if there was funding for me regardless of what the 'advert' says, i'd be even more surprised if I could find/afford the time to do it, along with the guys who work for me.

As long as you can prove you have been a tiler for ( 5years i think ?) then funding shoould be available. As for time, the only paperwork is getting together letters of recomendation and photos plus a maths and english test for the funding. Then they come to you to assess you on site.

C

Colour Republic

I thought you had been given a nvq 3 under grandfather rights

Not in tiling, that was for decorating, which leads to another problem, as a kitchen fitter or bathroom fitter you are required to undertake lots of trades so if this came out for all trades how many NVQ's would I need... seems like a lot of fun. If this got rid of the chancers then yes I'd go for every qualification I could as it would mean a hell of a lot more work and prices going up, but as it won't I shall class it as another burden and cost

G

Gazzer

Having had a look around online I have found rumblings that it is a requirement in 2010 for anyone working onsite to be NVQ level 2 qualified but I cant see any where mentioning domestic. This is either not going to effect the domestic market or there will be an influx of unqualified site tilers hitting a domestic market near you soon!

No, anyone wanting to work on site must have a CSCS card. You dont need a NVQ to get a card, just pass the safety test but the card only lasts 1 year ( I think mine was 3 years but they keep changing it) you then should be in the process of obtaining your NVQ2 to obtain a new CSCS card.

D

Deleted member 1779

I thought I would pop this bit in as well from the email message

[NB: The views below are not those of 365Drills. We do not hold any view on this matter]
==================================================
For gods sake register if its not with STC then with someone else that has funding
you have four weeks from 5th July 2010 to do so.

STC are not the only company that has government funding but if you do not register with anyone you WILL HAVE TO PAY....

I am not telling you for my own sake if you want some more information please call me <Number Removed>.

Please pass on this message
Please let anyone or everyone know that if they do not have a qualification it will effect them,

STC has government funding for Tilers, Decorators, Plasterers, Window fitters,

If you know someone in a trade please tell them this isn't a sales pitch as we are not the only company with funding but they are about to miss the boat.

====================================================================

One thing I did think is,,,, I wonder if our tilers forum insurance partner has any views on this?

So I rang Robert at Contractors Compare on 0845 675 0045 and he said that most insurance companies are happy to quote for trades and as far as he is concerned he has not heard anything in the insurance industry compelling people to hold a minimum of Level 2 in the NVQ qualifications for tiling insurance to be taken out as a tiler.

He is going to check this out and call me back if the situation is any different but thats the view from our insurance sponsors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ahhhh. I think it's a bit of a ploy to get bookings. If it is, that does look quite desperate to me.

Remember to simply contact the training sponsors that's closest to you. They all offer NVQ's and if there is funding available, then they will all have access to it.

Plastering and Tiling Course, Wall and Floor Tiling and Plastering Courses, UK - south
NE Tiling and Construction Training - north and scotland
Tiling Courses and Tiling training From Chase Tiling Academy and Construction Assessment Group - midlands
Tiling Courses and Training: 1-6 Week Courses in Tiling - south
The Construction Skills College Limited : Quality Training Courses in Plastering courses – Plumbing courses – Tiling courses – Electrical courses – Carpentry Courses – Joinery courses – Kitchen Fitting Courses – Bricklaying courses – Painting and Dec -midlands

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sorry got that info from here :Tiling Qualifications | Tiling NVQ: it states that site based tilers in 2010 are required to hold an NVQ2.

With regard to the original post it wont stop the bodgers who dont care or dont have insurance and I cant see how it will be policed, much like part p.

Plenty of info on this subject in the Tiling NVQ forum. :)

R

richard Kent

Who will police this, IE gas safe for gas engineer or if your a sparks its NIC, or one of the other electrical bodies.
I'm a timed surved chippy who for over 20 years have been fitting kitchens, this does entail tiling but I do not have any paper work to say I'm a competent tiler.
They have been threatening to have domestic plumbing tested and certificated for years as well.
Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
R

richard Kent

I sub-contract to one of the big sheds for work (They shall remain incognito) and they insist on only NIC sparks for all electrical work, it's gas safe engineers if this was in the pipe line they would not let any of their fitters do any tiling work.
Today is the first I have heard of this and if it was going to happen in the near future any of the sheds that offer a fitting service for kitchens or bathrooms would have to have time to implement the necessary procedures.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ahhh, you're right there for sure.

I don't think there's any truth in this. It's simply a mass-email to gain a few enquiries and unfortunately it'll probably work with a few people who would have been fully miss-sold their training and could be entitled to every penny back afterwards if this doesn't come to light. And I mean loss-of-earnings during training, not just any accommodation fee's and the likes during the "free" training.

Reply to Critical news for ALL TILERS (or is it?) As a professional tiler you dedcide.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Add your news for free; Tiling News, Plumbing News, Electrical News What's Involved in...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.