Discuss cut ties with the contractor and now have a badly done, half finished bathroom in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

First time poster here.
For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really shoddy finish work. We’ve cut ties with the contractor and now have a badly done, half finished bathroom. The contractor set the shower/backsplash wall tile with liquid nails instead of the proper product, bizarre choice I know. And since trying to pry them up would ruin the tiles and destroy the waterproofing, we’re stuck with it as is. Now, we’re trying to decide on the best products to use to grout and finish the tile. We’ve done some basic tiling before, so we thought we’d just finish it out ourselves.
So here’s where I could use advice.
I was looking at using laticrete spectralock 1 grout with latisil silicone sealant for the corners, but I can’t find any information about the flexibility of spectralock 1 and am concerned about cracking with movement, I’d like to use laticrete if possible because mapei doesn’t make a green color that will match. I also wonder about whether the unfortunate choice to use liquid nails makes any difference in the products or techniques we should use. Any thoughts, product recs, or tips would be incredibly helpful!!
IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Can you post some pictures of the tiling please? And also let me just shout our resident American. @Tile Marble Granite

What tile adhesive has been used?

Scrap that just read again liquid nails! Mental!

Any grout you use will fill the voids and become problematic maybe. You ideally want to use a good strong adhesive (mud) for the rest of the tiles don't whatever you do continue with the liquid nails, please.

What sort of amount of tiles are left to put on in square yards or how many boxes and what size tile? Can usually work it out from that they'll be boxed in square yards no doubt.

Can you post some pictures of the tiling please? And also let me just shout our resident American. @Tile Marble Granite

What tile adhesive has been used?

Scrap that just read again liquid nails! Mental!

Any grout you use will fill the voids and become problematic maybe. You ideally want to use a good strong adhesive (mud) for the rest of the tiles don't whatever you do continue with the liquid nails, please.

What sort of amount of tiles are left to put on in square yards or how many boxes and what size tile? Can usually work it out from that they'll be boxed in square yards no doubt.
Images posted. The tiles are all already applied with the liquid nails. It’s either remove and toss them and buy all new tiles, or start grouting. The contractor fiasco cost me a lot more than planned so I’m low on funds and hoping to avoid a full re-do if I can.

Images posted. The tiles are all already applied with the liquid nails. It’s either remove and toss them and buy all new tiles, or start grouting. The contractor fiasco cost me a lot more than planned so I’m low on funds and hoping to avoid a full re-do if I can.
Aww so sorry , bit off my patch ,California
If your never going to be happy with it , maybe have a think before throwing more money at it

Liquid Nail is not for tiling. Period
If it was ok to use it on tile projects, the tile shops would sell Liquid Nail instead of tile adhesive/thinset
Those tiles might fall off the walls once the moisture kicks in.

To answer your question, the grout is not going to be flexible enough for the corners, you would have to use a silicone or a caulk matching color

Reply to cut ties with the contractor and now have a badly done, half finished bathroom in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We’re currently having our bathrooms fully redone including stripping back, boarding, tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
I don't want to jump to any conclusions about what a good or bad job is. So I would greatly...
Replies
Views
We've got as far as stripping out the bathroom in our new (to us) bungalow dug up floor, laid...
Replies
Views

USA Tile Forum Popular

America Tile Advice Trending

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB