Discuss Cutting Sockets In Glass Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wayfoward

I'm tiling kitchen walls with large format tiles, 600 X 200 ceramic with a middle 'border' row of 600 X 150 glass tiles. Glass tiles are about 8mm thick. for the 'U' shaped socket holes can I get away with cutting the sides and scoring across to break the hole out? I'm wondering if the glass is a bit thick to try scoring. Maybe make a few cuts to the score line and break out the bits?

PS, didn't know about size of wall tiles till I got to the job, had a quick moan at the kitchen fitter who feeds me work to give us a 'heads up' on kitchen wall jobs that are a bit different to the norm in the future! Walls arn't really up to the job but where possible the customer gets what the customer wants....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Your setting out is key.

You want to guage where all your tiles go before you even get them out of the box.

A border shouldn't run into any sockets or anything like that where possible. I can remember needing to do it the odd time in a hidden area where I couldn't move a light switch or something random. But generally, the border tiles are meant to be a feature therefore not look ugly by going through things.

I must be frank mate, and I mean no harm. It could pay dividends if you did a tiling course. Perhaps you don't need a NVQ and all that jazz, but you'd find you can tile quicker and mess about less (and end up with lovely work you're proud of that was easier to do) and therefore generally earn more money.

If a week course cost you a few hundred quid, and for the rest of your time you managed to save a few hundred quid a year, it would have been worth while.

And the customer doesn't always get what the customer wants I'm afraid. Sometimes they do appreciate the experienced tiler pointing out why something won't work or can't be done. They appreciate more the tiler advising them of the couple of options that will be near to what they want mind. Must be honest haha

Have a search on the forum for setting out tips.

That aside, if you need to cut a square hole in the middle of glass, you want the right grinder perhaps, with a good blade, and it should go in situ in one piece. No shoddy DIy style halves of tiles butted up is the way to go. If you're charging for tiling the price an experienced tiler would charge, the job needs to be bang on, like what the experienced tiler would give for the same money.

O

Old Mod

Get a glazers glass cutting wheel. I'd assume it's the right tool for the job and all that?
If you're going to use a manual glass cutter get an oil filled one. U'll
Find u need to Put a straight edge 2.5mm off the shoulder of the cutter, that way the wheel will hit your mark.
Get something like this from
Oil Glass Cutters with Integrated Oil Reservoir

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
O

Old Mod

Just another point, if the tiles have a plastic backing on them the adhesive must have an additive, and cannot be packed out.. you only make that mistake once, i had a whole window side reveal fall off when I started grouting through lack of knowledge on dealing with glass tiles..
Ouch!
You're right tho, I had to use Keraquick with Latex plus!
Not my favourite adhesive I can tell u!

O

Old Mod

Doing a feature wall in 3 weeks, bin specked Webber setplus with AD250..
Specked off the tile shop, not fired earth I hasten to add..

Mine were Fired Earth Andy, had quite a chat with their rep Phill,
They only spec Keraquick with Latex plus, maybe it was just the range I did, but impression I got was that it was their glass ranges.
They've tested a few addy' s and this is the only one that they're happy to recommend. They've had massive failures in the past which has led them to testing different adhesives.

S

Spare Tool

Mine were Fired Earth Andy, had quite a chat with their rep Phill,
They only spec Keraquick with Latex plus, maybe it was just the range I did, but impression I got was that it was their glass ranges.
They've tested a few addy' s and this is the only one that they're happy to recommend. They've had massive failures in the past which has led them to testing different adhesives.
Mentioned that to the tile shop and all could say was "we don't stock mapie" what do you do?

O

Old Mod

Mentioned that to the tile shop and all could say was "we don't stock mapie" what do you do?
Buy Mapei!
Buy their addy too if that's the same sort of deal I have with tile shops. But use Mapei if that's what they state. That's exactly what Phill stated to me. Thing is, if they have a failure, and u've followed their spec, I know for sure Fired Earth put EVERYTHING right. Including your re fixing price! As long as it's not your mistake of course! :D

S

Spare Tool

Buy Mapei!
Buy their addy too if that's the same sort of deal I have with tile shops. But use Mapei if that's what they state. That's exactly what Phill stated to me. Thing is, if they have a failure, and u've followed their spec, I know for sure Fired Earth put EVERYTHING right. Including your re fixing price! As long as it's not your mistake of course! :D
Thing with this job is the tile shop that passed the job onto me only stocks Webber which they have already sold to the customer with the tiles, I am on a fixing price only and I get a lot of work from this particular tile shop so don't want to pi## them off by telling the customer they've been given bad advice. Sticky wicket indeed!!!

O

Old Mod

Thing with this job is the tile shop that passed the job onto me only stocks Webber which they have already sold to the customer with the tiles, I am on a fixing price only and I get a lot of work from this particular tile shop so don't want to pi## them off by telling the customer they've been given bad advice. Sticky wicket indeed!!!

ok Andy this is where I eat my largest slice of humble pie!!!!! :confused:
U mentioned plastic backing and my thumbs took over before my brain engaged......errrrrm.... mine were Original Style! Ouch!
Sorry I've seem to have my fist planted firmly in my mouth right now!
Haha well who knows Webber may be ok but I'd still be calling Fired Earth at the very least. Then I've never had a great deal of success with them. I've done better sourcing the actual tile manufacturer and contacting them.
So sorry Andy if I've mislead you, which I have of course, but it was done with the best of intention :D

Reply to Cutting Sockets In Glass Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB