Discuss Cutting Sockets In Glass Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

Hahaha you're a gent! *tips hat!*
Haha...well my misses don't think so ;)
Mark no need for humble pie mate, a plastic backed tile is the same whichever names on the box. On fixing price only I can really only use materials supplied, I have mentioned the mapie but tile shop insists I'm ok with the webber set plus + AD250 and Webber have also agreed on this, maybe it is worth a call to the manufacturer to settle any disputes

O

Old Mod

Its going behind a free standing imitation log burner stove type thing.. Tiles 600x300, portrate, 3 wide, 4 high, good quality new build house, skimmed plasterboard...now tell me the weight issues :)
Haha I don't need to say anything mate, you're not daft, u know what you're doing.
Think I've said enough in this thread don't u! haha well sounds straight forward enough, least u don't have to do a window wall with mitres! Haha bloody thing still gives me nightmares :D
Sounds like they've spent more on the tiles than the woodburner haha
Hope it goes well for you, and of course we'll be hanging on the arrival of some pics!
I'm not gonna wish u luck, it's 12 tiles for god sake! haha

S

Spare Tool

Haha I don't need to say anything mate, you're not daft, u know what you're doing.
Think I've said enough in this thread don't u! haha well sounds straight forward enough, least u don't have to do a window wall with mitres! Haha bloody thing still gives me nightmares :D
Sounds like they've spent more on the tiles than the woodburner haha
Hope it goes well for you, and of course we'll be hanging on the arrival of some pics!
I'm not gonna wish u luck, it's 12 tiles for god sake! haha
That mitred glass bathroom looked the dogs and ill be honest I wouldn't have had the balls to take it on..
Yeah 12 tiles...exactly, what the hell are we mithering about, the hardest buts gonna be scribbing a 180mm hole out for the chimney to go through but I've told the customer to make sure its landing centered across a groutline, 1800 off the floor so if the fire fitters get that right should be a breeze...hmmm heard that one before ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Haha yeah haven't we all!
If urs are highly reflective, lash clips might be a good call if you're used to using them.
You won't want any distorted reflections going on!
Years ago when mirror tiles were all the rage we used to paint a black grid behind them and leave a 5mm gap between them to eliminate distortion, always hated doing those jobs tho.
People always wanted a mirror wall behind the bath, god knows why! Used to worry me sick they'd fall off with the steam on to some poor child.
After all the only proper place for mirrors is on the ceiling! :D

S

Spare Tool

Haha yeah haven't we all!
If urs are highly reflective, lash clips might be a good call if you're used to using them.
You won't want any distorted reflections going on!
Years ago when mirror tiles were all the rage we used to paint a black grid behind them and leave a 5mm gap between them to eliminate distortion, always hated doing those jobs tho.
People always wanted a mirror wall behind the bath, god knows why! Used to worry me sick they'd fall off with the steam on to some poor child.
After all the only proper place for mirrors is on the ceiling! :D
Good call on the lash clips but for gods sake now your talking about light distortion...adhesive, wieght, what's next... ;) hmmm by the way what are the limits for mirrors on the ceiling :)

O

Old Mod

See told u Dan makes me do it!
I truly had no intention of getting involved in this thread until Dans second and third post!
I had no choice then haha

Just reread what you asked after that slight rant.

Yeah. You're right. Cutting two lines down a tile and then scribing and snapping the last part to make a 'u' is the way to deal with that type of cut.

You might still for a grinder is required for glass though, if they are actually glass.

Get a glazers glass cutting wheel. I'd assume it's the right tool for the job and all that?

Errrrrm I took it off topic? Haha

Just another point, if the tiles have a plastic backing on them the adhesive must have an additive, and cannot be packed out.. you only make that mistake once, i had a whole window side reveal fall off when I started grouting through lack of knowledge on dealing with glass tiles..

Doing a feature wall in 3 weeks, bin specked Webber setplus with AD250..
Specked off the tile shop, not fired earth I hasten to add..

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Good call on the lash clips but for gods sake now your talking about light distortion...adhesive, wieght, what's next... ;) hmmm by the way what are the limits for mirrors on the ceiling :)
Limits for mirrors on ceilings are women over 15 stone or under 5ft. You just can't have them reflecting in them.

S

Spare Tool

That mitred glass bathroom looked the dogs and ill be honest I wouldn't have had the balls to take it on..
Yeah 12 tiles...exactly, what the hell are we mithering about, the hardest buts gonna be scribbing a 180mm hole out for the chimney to go through but I've told the customer to make sure its landing centered across a groutline, 1800 off the floor so if the fire fitters get that right should be a breeze...hmmm heard that one before ;)
...guess what it didn't fall in a groutline as requested, this was the outcome, first attempt drilling round the hole with an 8mm glass bit ended with the tile cracking so that was a waste of time and money, second attempt with the angle grinder got it spot on, well if you don't count the big lump it took out of the face of the tile, luckily its covered by the shroud around the chimney...phew
WP_20150706_12_56_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20150706_14_37_23_Pro.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
...guess what it didn't fall in a groutline as requested, this was the outcome, first attempt drilling round the hole with an 8mm glass bit ended with the tile cracking so that was a waste of time and money, second attempt with the angle grinder got it spot on, well if you don't count the big lump it took out of the face of the tile, luckily its covered by the shroud around the chimney...phew View attachment 73910 View attachment 73911
I didn't think your request was going to be followed easily lol

O

Old Mod

...guess what it didn't fall in a groutline as requested, this was the outcome, first attempt drilling round the hole with an 8mm glass bit ended with the tile cracking so that was a waste of time and money, second attempt with the angle grinder got it spot on, well if you don't count the big lump it took out of the face of the tile, luckily its covered by the shroud around the chimney...phew View attachment 73910 View attachment 73911
Did a nice job tho Andy!

S

Spare Tool

I didn't think your request was going to be followed easily lol
Shoulda known better, the fireplace receptionist said it would be fine to alter the chimney height to suit, the actual fitter then spoke to my customer and said no, the chimney has a seal on top of the fire that cannot be broken and the overall height must stay as it is, so it ended up being back to my problem, anyhow done finished with only 1 breakage... move on to the next one....a straightforward conservatory floor( that the customer decided he'd stand behind me all day passing me a tile at a time cuz he wanted to help) some weeks its just one after another :'(

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cutting Sockets In Glass Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB