UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Discolored basalt - need advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

elena

We had our onyx floors professionally polished. In the process, the abutting basalt tiles became discolored (white-ish) due to the substances used by the marble polisher. He doesn't know how to fix it, and we are left with a ruined basalt floor. Our flooring is only 6 years old, and he is insinuating that if he doesn't find a solution he will report it to his insurance company and they will remove all the basalt (there's a lot of it) and have to re-tile. This sounds not only extreme, but a huge inconvenience.
Could someone share any information with me? I am desperate.
Many thanks in advance for your kindness.
Elena

S

Spud

you need to find out what process the marble polisher did to the onyx, it is likely he cristalised the floor which gives a really shiney finish with out actually polishing the floor, the oxallic crystals would bloom white on basalt and can be removed by sanding them out I am not sure how effective this would be as i am not an expert on stone refinishing but I am sure one of the restoration guys will be able to confirm that the white residue is removable

P

Pebbs

I am also landed with a similar mis-fortune at the moment as you Elena, I have twice attempted to have basalt on a contract re-spun, however to no avail. In my case the housekeeper used a cleaning solution which has literally turned the basalt pale grey, despite having being advised to use ph neutral cleaners.

I dont understand how the marble polisher can think about referring it back to his insurance company, the area should have been cordoned off while the onyx was being re-surfaced. He should be holding his hands up and admitting his mistake and rectifying it accordingly.

Pebbs

E

elena

Attachments

• basalt 1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 66
E

elena

We have honey onyx floors that are bordered by a 6 inch basalt border. In two areas, the basalt border connects to rooms that are totally done in basalt. It's hard to see, but you can see in 2 of the photos I posted, how the onyx connects to the basalt. Almost all of the basalt border has swipes of discoloration, and where the onyx connected to full basalt floors, it is beyond the border and into the actual 24 inch basalt tiles.
There are about 160 linear feet of basalt border which - big or small - are discolored, plus four 24x24 basalt tiles.
It's an ugly situation.

D

DHTiling

This is what he responded to me:

The chemical used was a stone polishing compound that contains oxalic acid, a material that polishes marble, onyx or limestone floors.

is this enough information for you??

Oh dear... Oxalic acid is a bleaching agent and depending upon the strength he could have potentially really harmed your limestone flooring as well..

Limestones/basalts etc etc are delicate stones when it comes to using acids on them, they will etch as mentioned above and even bleach the colour...

Your Basalt looks to be polished and that acid has deffo etched it... to rectify that the whole area will need to be ground and then re-polished...

You won't be able to just do the basalt border as honing it alone will be noticeable against the surrounding field tiles, so a blending restoration is required.

You need to contact this floor cleaning guy and claim on his insurance... but this job that he has left needs to be done by a reputable re-surfacing/restoration company..

E

elena

Update;
Our marble polisher has been trying to fix the problem. He came back with a black substance that he claimed was a petroleum base with black oxide. He put it on the affected basalt, left it overnight and the basalt seemed to suck it in and restore its black color. I have been asking him for a month, and he has been very reluctant to tell me what the "recipe" was to create the black stuff he used. I pressed again, and now he told me it was black used motor oil. That of course gave me a great deal of confidence....
My problem now is that the black concoction seeped into my honey onyx and now the surrounding onyx is stained. black. Sounds like you can't win.
He now wants to pull up and replace the stained onyx with new pieces. I am reluctant to do that since I have very few spare onyx tiles, and I am afraid he might break or damage adjoining pieces during the removal process, and then the problem would escalate.
Thoughts, my friends?

Reply to Discolored basalt - need advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I would really appreciate some advice from those who know more about tiling than myself. We had...
Replies
Views
Don White
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.