UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Discolored basalt - need advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

elena

Got the sample.
As to his "solution" am I correct that onyx is not only porous (yes, it sucked in the black crap,) but also fragile? I am concerned that as he breaks out the current affected pieces, he might break other tiles and then multiply the problem even worse than now. And trust me, this is looking like a ridiculous melodrama already. Ruin the basalt, put used car oil on it, ruin the adjoining honey onyx, and now tear up more onyx in an attempt to fix the mess....

J

jay

Got the sample.
As to his "solution" am I correct that onyx is not only porous (yes, it sucked in the black crap,) but also fragile? I am concerned that as he breaks out the current affected pieces, he might break other tiles and then multiply the problem even worse than now. And trust me, this is looking like a ridiculous melodrama already. Ruin the basalt, put used car oil on it, ruin the adjoining honey onyx, and now tear up more onyx in an attempt to fix the mess....

Think you will find the whole lot has to come up as its only a matter of time till the oil contaminates the lot

This guy really doesn't know how to remedy this problem. You really need to find a well established stone and restoration company and has a good reputation. Get them to assess whether you should redo or not.
I know that we should always give the contractor in question a chance to remedy their mistake but really, should we really use the same person that made the mistake to continue in any way in our homes. This guy might call himself a stone polisher but that doesnt mean he's also a stone expert. He might be able to do the basic work but when knowledge and experience is required for a more complex stone work like this then he will always get in trouble.
Be interested to know what quotes you got and what the differences in cost were.
I hope cost wasn't a factor in your decision to use him. When the product being installed is expensive, then so should the cost of an installer/maintenance.
He really should have informed you of his solution and why.
The oil affected stone needs to be removed immediately as Jay said it will contaminate the adjoined pieces.

Oh, and you might want to check your dipstick asap.:lol:

E

elena

This guy really doesn't know how to remedy this problem. You really need to find a well established stone and restoration company and has a good reputation. Get them to assess whether you should redo or not.
I know that we should always give the contractor in question a chance to remedy their mistake but really, should we really use the same person that made the mistake to continue in any way in our homes. This guy might call himself a stone polisher but that doesnt mean he's also a stone expert. He might be able to do the basic work but when knowledge and experience is required for a more complex stone work like this then he will always get in trouble.
Be interested to know what quotes you got and what the differences in cost were.
I hope cost wasn't a factor in your decision to use him. When the product being installed is expensive, then so should the cost of an installer/maintenance.
He really should have informed you of his solution and why.
The oil affected stone needs to be removed immediately as Jay said it will contaminate the adjoined pieces.

Oh, and you might want to check your dipstick asap.:lol:

Good advise, thanks. I will contact a stone restoration company. Cost was not a factor - He has been around for a couple of decades and mostly does pricey homes. I am now assuming that he had never encountered basalt before, not to mention that he was careless in protecting it.
And, the dip stick checked out well........ ;-)

T

Topshop

Wow, what are people thinking.

There are several acceptable products out there like Tenax Uniblack that will re-doctor your besalt to black again. The same polishing compound used on the onyx should have been used on the besalt at the same time but not allowed to sit and eat away at the stone. That would not have allowed the first mess to begin with. The oil is all wrong to use.

A pultice could be used and possibly eventually remove the oil but most of the pultices will etch both the besalt and onyx requiring them to be re-polished anyway. Get the hacks out of your house and call in a restoration pro.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Discolored basalt - need advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I would really appreciate some advice from those who know more about tiling than myself. We had...
Replies
Views
Don White
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.