Discuss Discoloured Tiles after laying... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John Horgan

HI Guys,

I am new to the forum and after some guidance. I am currently halfway through tiling my bathroom and have some problems. I bought some tiles online 400x250 Flat White ceramic tiles. I laid the first row with minimal problems then as I laid more I started to experience some issues around them discolouring.

I can only describe this as a shadow like discolouration within the tile. It happened on one of the first row and after a day or so seems to fade. I have since laid more tiles and a week on these are still yet to fade, these were mainly tiles that required a cut. I have spoken to the supplier who asked me to send some pictures and I still await a response, but I carried on with tiles that didn't require cutting. Well I this has happend again with them (laid yesterday).

I took to google and a suggestion was to place a tiles part in water and see if it absorbed water, which it did. It has been on the radiator now for several hours and has just started to dry out. I am now assuming that the ones on the wall are absorbing the moisture from the adhesive.

My question being, will these eventually dry out and be ok? Or do I need to remove and replace them? I am also starting to think (after reading up) that I have used the wrong adhesive. I have used Unibond Ready Mix adhesive & grout. Could it be that the back on the tile is not going to dry out full stop?? They are certainly on the wall and don't come off with ease..

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

S

Stef

Whys that, sure i have a 12mm notched trowel, so will mine take longer with standard set add

If your using tubbed addy then it will take ages to dry out.
Ready mixed is a dispersion adhesive & needs air & somewhere for the moisture to soak into to cure properly.
Using powder adhesives you don't have the same problem, they cure under chemical hydration, although with powder the setting times are all gauged at 20degrees so if it's colder it will take longer & if it's warmer it will speed the process up.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Discoloured Tiles after laying... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB