Discuss Do I tank aqua panels or Hardie boards. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Craftycocknet

Hi all. New to the forum. Hello everyone.

I've a studded wall in a walk in wetroom to tile. it's a nursing home, high humidity and high use. The wall has the shower itself on it. Everything else in the room is complete. I'm doing the studding at 400 centres for the uprights. I'm going to put the horizontal noggins in where needed. It's about 1400 wide. 1700 high. It has 2 thin reveals.

Anyway, I was thinking of a water board. I've got jewsons Travis and CTD at my disposal!! Recommendations, Hardie marmox aqua panel ?? Suppose cheapest really.

Should they be primed? And Damp proofed or is that an overkill?

Any particular screws? Any particular adhesive. Cement based?

Thanks for reading.
Crafty

O

One Day

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I get the impression you don't fully know how to tackle this.
A commercial wet-area like this is going to stay wet. You've got to treat it like a wet room if you want it to last.
"Cheapest"? Not a good way to start!
Forget the builders merchants and use CTD.

DO NOT USE CEMENT BOARDS IN A WET AREA.

Forget anything other than Wedi board / Schluter Kerdi board or if you really are tight on funds - Jacko board.
All available from CTD.
Fix them using the washers (from CTD) and follow the manufacturer's instructions for sealing and taping joints, fastener heads, and internal corners.
You need to be able to use the shower with no tiles. If you can't - it's not prepared correctly.

O

One Day

What about knauf aqua boards. Just did a search on here and quite a few people like them. Are they good alternative to wedi..?

No! They are cement-based. Not waterproof - only water resistane i.e. won't break down.
Like aquapanel / hardibacker and ALL other cement board - they allow water to soak through and into the studs.
Complete waste of time in my opinion.
Heavy, hard to cut and not waterproof - what's to like?!

O

One Day

Get some of their 'board adhesive' it's a tube of white polymeric adhesive. You can seal fastener heads by smudging a blob over them. The really correct way is to tape the joints so a roll of jointing tape should suffice. You can bond that too with the tube adhesive. Just be careful to achieve a good bond. Small disposable notch trowel is ideal for this.
Screws, i just use standard screws. And galv washers.

Cement boards have damaged tile installations by allowing water to damage the studs and floor boards, twisting and shifting the boards which damages the tiling. Same could happen with other boards IF they aren't installed correctly!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Just pricing up at ctd. What do I need to seal the screw holes?

Thanks
I take it you mean insulation board? While you are in CTD, get some ardex wp. Mix a small amount at a time and go over the washers/screws, with a filler knife, plasterers float or even an old paint brush.
Don't forget the joins in the boards and floor to wall joins will need taping and tanking.

O

One Day

I take it you mean insulation board? While you are in CTD, get some ardex wp. Mix a small amount at a time and go over the washers/screws, with a filler knife, plasterers float or even an old paint brush.
Don't forget the joins in the boards and floor to wall joins will need taping and tanking.

This: Jackoboard Board-Fix Kleb- und Dichtstoff 290 ml - http://www.hornbach.de/shop/Jackoboard-Board-Fix-Kleb-und-Dichtstoff-290-ml/8197823/artikel.html
Is WAY easier. But ardex wp would do a great job too.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do I tank aqua panels or Hardie boards. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey, this is my first time attempting to tile in my first home. Did a bunch of research last...
Replies
Views
S
Hi again Last week several of you helped me out with advice for a wetroom floor. There were a...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
C
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice please. I just started doing my en suite. I have a shower...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, I'm a DIYer in the process of fitting a walk in shower into my bathroom. I've not attempted...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I'm installing a shower cubicle using a marmox showerlay. I have boarded the walls with...
Replies
Views
rupert
R

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB