UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Do you enjoy tiling.?, in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

glasgow_tiler

hey glasgow sounds as if it might a been you who tiled the flat iam in absolutley shockin job on top of paper,easy getting them off tho haha
haha i can assure you i leave the tiling looking as best as i possible can givin the circumstances, its just sad that we arnt giving the proper amount of time to do it all properly, but beggers cant be chosers these days.

judge

TF
Arms
Been going for 15 months now and still finding it hard to meet my own time schedules on most jobs,saying that it can be very satisfying and ive not had a bad comment on any of my work .In fact ive picked up lots of very good contacts and my local topps hands out my cards first to theyre customers.:hurray: all ive done for the the last 17 months is lived,breathed and slept tiling .I have gained mases of knowledge off you guys and used it in practice and the results are in the proof of my work.....:thumbsup:

A

Alan M

as a part time tiler 9do it on jobs im doing) i like tiling . it is satisfing to stand back at the end of a day and see a big transfemation in a bathroom. most trades cant take an empty room adn turn it into a finished room in a day or two(or more).
i tiled a bathroom for a neighbour of mine (good friend ) and am delighted when ever anyone comes to her house and sees the bathroom. great to see their faces when they see it. things like that make you feel great about your ability.
i like insulating attics(or reather like the end result more than the job) , its great to turn a frezing cold house into a hot one in a dya or 2. i nearly killed one woman. she couldnt work out how to use the heating controls adn he was gone off. i put 400mm on top of the 50 that was there and she couldnt turn down the heating . she was roased. but they were deligted that all the heat was kept in(or shocked at how much was getting out) . its great to hear that they (or others ) recomended you because of things like that

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

i still love my work after all these years ,OK the knee is a bit stiff,but i still get a great sense of achievement when i look back at the end of each day and see how i have done , i understand and agree with phil's sentiments 100%, and it worries me that a place like London can be so over -run with foreign workers that it makes me feel like i'am the foreigner working there, it also worries me that we have not protected our Trade enough ,like plumbers/ electricians with expensive certificated systems to stop the coursers /and DIY/book/self-taught/jobbers , maybe we should think and act before it's to late !!, anyone can arrive on a customers doorstep and say hello i'am the tiler, and it should take more than that, or its open to anyone who fancies a change of job/or redundant /or unemployed,anyone NOW THIS CANT BE RIGHT !!! CAN IT ??? :thumbsup: THINK ON Bro's :hurray:

P

Pebbs

I still enjoy tiling, and still like a challenge. But I feel sad, angry, and insulted by the dilution of the skills involved in being a real tiler. Tiling is and always will be a trade. The master craftsmen I served my time with were very proud men, proud of their skills, many of them 2nd/3rd generation tilers.

I can't help wondering what these real craftsmen would make of the pretend tilers I stand with at trade counters day after day. I listen to the tosh they come out with and think yeah you can talk the talk, but you will never walk the walk.

These people would not last two minutes on a real tiling job, they have been told they are tilers by people who are not tilers. The 4 week courses are a sad reflection of the world we live in. But they will never replace a time served tiler.

I hope I don't offend anyone with my ranting, But I think I am a tiler, a real tiler it is all I have done from the age of 15.

So yes I still enjoy my job.:thumbsup:

Phil tells it like it is, and in a world of 'wannabees' and my dog is bigger than your dog mentality, people need to be reminded, the majority of 'tilers' are margarine, but some are best butter.

Toast anyone?

Pebbs

J

jonnyc

Still get great satisfaction at the end result! After 30 years Knees and back are starting to disagree, specially with ever bigger/heavier tiles. As trades I work with say, we are the glory boys, as clients always appreciate finished job!
dave, i know you dont like anything over a kilo in weight nowasdays!!!,
but you your quality has always been as good as it gets.
remember those carefree easy days being recommended by fired earth out of guildford ,
we could name our own price and the fixing miles of terracotta and slate was a doddle.
i hear richard who ran guilford is still on the tools after giving up sales and also that alan berks who i knew from when his wife was only one of the three employees in fired earth in their infancy has a tiling business in oxfordshire.
seems these sales people think there is more money in doing the tiling than selling the tiles!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do you enjoy tiling.?, in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.