Discuss Do you ever.... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

.....Feel a slight pang of remorse when you feel you've been paid too much, or is it just swings n roundabouts??
Just done a 3m kitchen splashback today 200x100 brickbond for a joiner friend of mine that had quoted on a job...
a day for him to change some doors and worktops and a day for me to retile it.
I hadn't seen the job till I got there at 9 this morning...
Tiled, grouted n siliconed, and van packed in 3 hours.
The job only 10 mins away was for a nice oldish lady that walks with a stick, she was out at work when I got there and still out when I left, thing is if she'd been in I would have only charged half a day....joiner going round tonight to collect cash....
feeling guilty:thumbsdown:

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

.....Feel a slight pang of remorse when you feel you've been paid too much, or is it just swings n roundabouts??
Just done a 3m kitchen splashback today 200x100 brickbond for a joiner friend of mine that had quoted on a job...
a day for him to change some doors and worktops and a day for me to retile it.
I hadn't seen the job till I got there at 9 this morning...
Tiled, grouted n siliconed, and van packed in 3 hours.
The job only 10 mins away was for a nice oldish lady that walks with a stick, she was out at work when I got there and still out when I left, thing is if she'd been in I would have only charged half a day....joiner going round tonight to collect cash....
feeling guilty:thumbsdown:
clients pay for your experience not your time so anther tiler may have taken 1 day to tile and half day to grout but the price is the same they do not pay racing drivers less for coming first so why should you work for less only in the building trade do they exspect to pay you less for finishing early yet its taken you over 10 years to get to that level

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
clients pay for your experience not your time so anther tiler may have taken 1 day to tile and half day to grout but the price is the same they do not pay racing drivers less for coming first so why should you work for less only in the building trade do they exspect to pay you less for finishing early yet its taken you over 10 years to get to that level

To true ....a customer once said to me you must be on good money that job only took you 4 hours...no I said it took me 4 hours and 33 years experience to do your job..:smilewinkgrin:

S

Spare Tool

Confused.com??? 15 mins to get gear in and set out, hour and a half to tile...it was only a single 3m, 500mm high run, couple of plug sockets but no window or trim work, half an hour or so to grout, 15 mins polish up and dry bottom row with a hairdryer, silicone, pack up, out the door....hey the joiner quoted it not me....some you win, most you don't...after reading a few of the above posts the guilt is subsiding, might bob round with a Christmas card though.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

prceramics

Confused.com??? 15 mins to get gear in and set out, hour and a half to tile...it was only a single 3m, 500mm high run, couple of plug sockets but no window or trim work, half an hour or so to grout, 15 mins polish up and dry bottom row with a hairdryer, silicone, pack up, out the door....hey the joiner quoted it not me....some you win, most you don't...after reading a few of the above posts the guilt is subsiding, might bob round with a Christmas card though.

omg you didnt have a coffee break lol

S

Spare Tool

i pusume you booked a whole day to do it so if you do it quicker and they are happy whats the problem i dont tend to do half day jobs unless the customer is happy for me to do it adhok Why would you book half a day in when it is unlikley you will get another half day job
...I presume you obviously haven't read the first post or even first page of this thread...
Have to agree booking half a day for a job is pretty pointless as what you gonna do with the rest of the day BUT...
The joiner quoted and booked me for the day, the whole point of the thread was the fact it felt a bit wrong to take payment well over and above what the job was worth and seeing she was a little oldish lady and not a banker it just made me feel a twang of remorse and was just wondering if anyone else had been in the same predicament...

"omg you didn't have a coffee break"

Oh and yes even managed time for a coffee, the very nice lady had left me all set up with coffee and spoon already in the cup:8:

No bother, I can see how you'd feel about the same scenario and will add your best wishes in her Christmas card :smilewinkgrin:

P

prceramics

...I presume you obviously haven't read the first post or even first page of this thread...
Have to agree booking half a day for a job is pretty pointless as what you gonna do with the rest of the day BUT...
The joiner quoted and booked me for the day, the whole point of the thread was the fact it felt a bit wrong to take payment well over and above what the job was worth and seeing she was a little oldish lady and not a banker it just made me feel a twang of remorse and was just wondering if anyone else had been in the same predicament...

"omg you didn't have a coffee break"

Oh and yes even managed time for a coffee, the very nice lady had left me all set up with coffee and spoon already in the cup:8:

No bother, I can see how you'd feel about the same scenario and will add your best wishes in her Christmas card :smilewinkgrin:

to be honest i wouldnt do a job if i had not looked at it first so she would of got a fair price :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do you ever.... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
F
Had one today, Went to look at the job prior to starting. It's a plumber who I know's daughter...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
I
So after a few PM's I think I've got to the bottom of @antonio's intended thread! Below are two...
Replies
Views
AndY mac
A
Sometimes work has been hard, sometimes frustrating, stressful etc. But i can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
J
Hi all, Just had the bathroom floor tiled - well almost , the builder walked off after a...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB