Search the forum,

Discuss Do you guys feel that the majority of customers overlook how important it is to prepare substrates? in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

Don't be soft with customers, be polite but firm, you need to come across like its you doing them the favour working for them, not the other way round. Give them an inch and they'll take the mile and If you can't do it your way just leave it, forget about it and move on to the next one..

O

On one

'Give in' this time and he will expect the same standard the next time.
Boils my pee sometimes when this happens.......the whole scenario could be avoided if the plumber had forewarned that there was prep worth to do.

W

Waluigi

I think I know what’s happening here......

The handyman/builder whatever is trying to belittle the amount of work that needs doing to prep it to make you feel like it’s very simple so you should just get on and do it. Give him a price to do it. I agree with Wrighty. Don’t give in. You’re the one who tells him what needs doing, not the other way round

D

Dumbo

Get used to hearing this and get used to ignoring it .
Tiler will get over that .
Now you need to understand you are a finish trade and a lot of other trades don't understand what is needed to get a good quality finish .

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There are sadly still a good number of tiles who don't realise the importance of substrate preparation as well.

O

One Day

You call the shots. Remember that.
Act as if they need you far more than you need them (even if that's not 100% true - act that way - not arrogantly, just confidently)

A phrase I truthfuly use a lot and which works is something along the lines of "I want to be able to leave here and sleep at night knowing this job will last as long as your house does, so to do that I can't cut corners." Then explain (briefly and without boring them to death) why your way is the only way.

Your own confident attitude is what will win people over.

Joe

TF
Reaction score
That’s good advice. I know I need to act more confident in these interactions about the job and focus on winning the customers over to gain their trust more in what I’m saying. I’ll crush it next time. I like your salesmanship Impish.

Reply to Do you guys feel that the majority of customers overlook how important it is to prepare substrates? in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen