• Thread starter Diamond Pool Finishers
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 323
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Do you haggle on price's in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I would always ask if that's the best price they can give, not always does it work but sometimes they'll come down a bit. The key to haggling is to give them more business for a better price. Doesn't work well with tile shops as you can't over-order and achieve anything. But say you ring a business card place, you say what's the price for 500, right and what's the price for 1000, so if I have 2000 you can do them me for xx and I'd say a cheap price, and the haggling starts from there. Sort of thing.

Tools, I would shop around a bit probably but I wouldn't always go for the cheapest suppliers.

T

tfs

I also ask if its the best price a supplier can do or even if they will price match for me.

I believe it can more often than not be a two way thing. If you take business to your supplier and establish a good relationship with them you tend to be in a good position to get better prices (providing they have the power to do so)

Some people dont appreciated obvious haggling so we need to be more subtle sometimes.

C

cornish_crofter

I haggle where I can.

If I go to B and Q I may haggle on a damaged or reduced item, as they usually want shot of them anyway.

I usually do discuss prices at the local merchants. I did get my new Rubi mixer slightly cheaper than the promotional price at CTD. IIRC I said something like "£50 for cash :)" The manager had got it in for another customer who then didn't need it. He was going to send it back but I had it instead.

Do I get haggled? Sometimes. When I quote for a job I tend to stick to the quote. If the customer wants to get other quotes he's welcome.

P

Pebbs

i do because my money is hard earned and i value it, i need to get the best price on anything i buy for me and my business it makes my business competitive and my Dosh go further, one thing i learned is there is no sentiment in business, and that is very true what do you guys practice ?:lol::thumbsup:

I want you all to take note of the above statement, because a certain pool tiler, who will remain nameless, might be called to re-negotiate his quotation.

Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

i dont haggle on everything but theres certain times and certain people you have to do it with..

for ex: if i'm buying a new car, i know dealers have a profit margin for the month, so i'll go in near the end and play them off against another dealer. thats only fair because they'll happily take more off you if you let them.

if a tradesperson comes round and gives a price, i'll get a few and go with the one i like (so i wont haggle)

if its tools,, then theres a bit of grey area. if a tile cutter is £250 in one place and my regular supplier is £322, then i'll ask if they will match it . normally they do but if they said no, then they are not doing what they claim on the price match, so thats there fault really not mine, so i'll go to the other outlet..

loyalty is a 2 way street. business is business and your family come way ahead of anything in my opinion..

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I never haggle. Oh yes you do. Oh no I don't, OOOOOOh yes you do. OOOOOOOOh no I don't. Sorry those were my lines in last years pantomime. Seriously though I put a price in based on how long the job will take, if I think the job will take a week I price accordingly. Non negotiable, having said that times are changing. Maybe we will all have to sharpen our pencils over the next few months:yikes:

Reply to Do you haggle on price's in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Do you haggle on price's
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks