• Thread starter Diamond Pool Finishers
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 323
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Do you haggle on price's in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hillhead

I haggle, more so abroad too for some funny reason. Lol.
Money is so precious lately that most of us need to haggle sooner rather than later.
I got haggled on the job I finished yesterday, 2 days work including re boarding, tanking, tiling etc.
But hey was I proud of my haggle and two days price!
If all my jobs paid like that I'd be happier.
A woman customer once told me she was going to haggle me on the price( big house job). So when giving price I had £300 welded on for the haggle, lol.
She never haggled ! Shock. Happy woman with price and happy me with better rate. Lol.

C

cornish_crofter

The way I look at it is this.

Each tradesman is different. I have got jobs where I have not been the cheapest but I am a known quantity. My work tends to speak for itself. The customers are happy and recommend me. Also I tend to gel with some customers from the outset.

The next tradesman will essentially offer a similar but different service. He may sware like a navvy, not clear up after himself etc etc. Also he may either do uncessecary work or cut corners. A lot of customers know that you won't get an identical job from 2 different tradesmen.

Sometimes I do lose out on price with people who know me. One builder in my area regularly undercut me and some other tradesmen for a while. I decided to let him have the work until he got booked up with cheap work, then I started getting work again. He seemes to have stopped doing that to me at least.

I have been haggled on price and I know that the other 'quote' never existed but I agreed to match it knowing that i could still make good money and the customer would be well disposed towards me in the belief that she'd got a good deal.

When you buy product, a bag of Weber SLC is exactly the same whether you buy it from CTD, Topps, independent or whereever, so as a tradesman you are comparing prices for the same product from several different suppliers. So it makes sense to keep an eye on prices and make sure your loyalty to one supplier is not being abused ;)

Also, suppliers tend to get repeat business. Some of us tradesmen do but often, especially for those that just do tiling, you'll get one job or a couple of jobs from a customer and that will be it. As there is only so much tiling you can do in one house :lol:

H

hillhead

My lead is thicker in my pencil this last few weeks and it's working for me !
Hard to believe as prices here are near rock bottom but i'm holding ship and thinking more about what i need for x amount of days(inc travelling and other costs).
I am owed from a builder too and i'm charging proper rates there,from 30 odd houses i'v tiled for him i'v not had to go back and snag one ! long may that continue.
I finished a small 2 day job yesterday for a lovely couple who i'm sure are millionaires, fair play to them i say.
The only way i'll be one is with lotto.

Reply to Do you haggle on price's in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Do you haggle on price's
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.