Discuss Do you take a deposit? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

ok charlie i am not going to add anything more.
you are clearly a man in demand and on a mission and on your uppers.
good on you and best of luck .
you say you want to be taking on other tilers and with your self assurance you will live or die in a commercial world.
I set out to achieve what you want now twenty five years ago and was flying my tilers out to caribean and all over the world and paying them big money as well as myself after just six years from start up , but i think i achieved this because i was always wanting to learn and i never thought i knew everything

thanks for for the advice. Life is good but I go on habits where I come on here then quickly realise why I stayed away. It can be good in small doses but it does not bring me penny. I live in the real world, learning from my mistakes and yes one day I will hopefully employ other tilers. I sincerely hope I have not caused anyone on here any unrest but I have one rule in life, I would never say anything on here or any other social site that I would not say in real life. Having said that, the forum at times does have good banter and I wish everyone all the best

C

Colour Republic

Always take a deposit but then on most jobs we are supplying high value items, so kitchens and bathrooms are paid for anywhere 3-8 weeks in advanced. Already making a healthy profit on the supply so not overly fussed if they cancel, which almost never happens if they have already parted with thousands of pounds. Don't really take deposits on small labour only jobs lasting a couple of days as they are normally squezzed in between other work anyway, so can 9 times out of 10 fill the time with other jobs.

If I was just supplying labour and not getting involved in material supplying (I mean materials in high value stuff not everyday sundries) then I think I would ask for a small non-returnable deposit 4 weeks before hand to guarantee their spot in the diary. Not a lot but enough for them not to want to lose. Say job value £1K-£2K = £200 deposit, £2k-£5k = £400, £5k-£10K = £600, once you start getting in to £15k + labour only charge you want to have a contract in place anyway which gives you right to chase out of pocket expenses if the cancel

C

charlie1

if the customer cancels, do you have to give the deposit back..? ......has anyone had this happen to them..? be interested if anyone knows the law on this..

Im not 100% on this but I think you need to give it back or some of it back depending on 2 factors, 1, what the deposit was for? Labour or goods and 2, the time when she canceled (did you have reasonable time to book in more work)

Q

Qwerty

I have cancellations covered in my T&C's which a solicitor & trading standards have approved. It reads-

You may cancel your order with no charge by informing us within 14 days of the order being placed. We “Plan Tec Tiling & Wet Room Solutions” reserve the right to retain any deposits made if the cancellation terms are breached.

Never had one cancel mind, but at least I'm covered.

Most of my work is Labour only. I take 50 % at start of job, 50% on completion. I also supply Pipe, valves, board, electrics, lights, etc.. I always supply these materials at cost and give the receipts to the customer. For this I usally take around £500 as a float till it runs out or I finish. You could make a bit on materials but to be honest my labour price isnt cheap and I dont find my self cutting corners to save a bit of cash. Also somthing goes wrong with a light, extractor ufh controller ect.. customer can chase it up with supplier as I was only paid to install.
This seems to work for me.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do you take a deposit? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm wondering what, as a tiler, you would expect to do when you go to a job. Do you prepare...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB