Discuss Dodgy tricks... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Thought I'd start this interesting thread to discuss the dodgy tricks that have been sprung on you by unscrupulous contractors / builders (more specifically in my case bathroom company). These tricks have one aim... To reduce what money you are owed.

Here re what I have found, I negotiate a meter age rate for tiling but when it comes payment time, for example, the meter age has been calculated minus door / window / and anything else they think they can get away with. To reduce it beyond being worth while.

in comparison, decent companies give you the rate for the full room.

what dirty tricks can you think of?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
How can they take the window out Charlie, the reveal generally covers the window plus you have the cuts to do into a window, they are basing it on flat walls.

What about drilling into porcelain? I have just done a bathroom and there were 43 holes to drill in tough porcelain, even if you average 5-6 minutes per hole that's at least 3 hours just drilling plus the cost of bits, who pays for all that.

I only do my own work and don't subby, everything is under my control then and quoted accordingly and paid for in full.

C

charlie1

How can they take the window out Charlie, the reveal generally covers the window plus you have the cuts to do into a window, they are basing it on flat walls.

What about drilling into porcelain? I have just done a bathroom and there were 43 holes to drill in tough porcelain, even if you average 5-6 minutes per hole that's at least 3 hours just drilling plus the cost of bits, who pays for all that.

I only do my own work and don't subby, everything is under my control then and quoted accordingly and paid for in full.

Yes, john, when you add up all those holes as you mention, you wonder if it's worth your while.

suppose the specific question I'm asking is... When you do work for a bathroom company, how do you expect your meter age to be calculated? ,minus doors and windows, just area tiled ( not in waste).

The he gym I'm working for knows every trick in the book, orders way more tiles than required, charges customers then takes them back for money.... Not a very trustworthy guy so I need to watch him at every turn.... Stinks

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I always charge for the meterage of tiles including waste as the tiles need to be cut to create the waste, that = time = chargeable. I do take the half the door out of the equation To allow for cuts, but ALWAYS leave the window(s) in.

The bathroom I did with 43 holes was on a day rate for the job but I would be happy to charge £5 per hole, and I've never had any one say, 'Oh I'll drill the holes'.

On more than one occasion I've let the customer have a go at drilling with masonry bits (cos they drill concrete and brick so they'll drill tiles, won't they?) And they see what it takes to drill them successfully and the cost of the diamond core bits.

Last edited:
C

charlie1

I always charge for the meterage of tiles including waste as the tiles need to be cut to create the waste, that = time = chargeable. I do take the half the door out of the equation To allow for cuts, but ALWAYS leave the window(s) in.

I think that's fair and reasonable. I don't charge for waste but I add a small charge for tiling window reveal (usually 2 hours). Also, any mosaic Work that needs to have prep done, again I charge an extra hour or 2 prep for that.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
As soon as you lift a tile to cut it then its taking you longer to fix that tile so you charge for it.
I'm the same as you Andy,
Measure room at 20m2 + 10% wastage = 22m2, that's what gets invoiced...
Seemples.

Like I said previously, it's easy to tile flat walls, It's when you come to the cuts that's where the skills are, and they need paying for.

We've seen all too many times on here what bad cuts look like and they make or break a job. If you choose not to charge in that manner then you are missing an opportunity that's staring you in the face.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
and do you all tell your customers that you will be charging for the exta meterage that you are not fixing?

i just ask the tile suppliers to deliver them pre-cut to the exact sizes required, saves me taking the cutter to the job so I only need addy and spacers. Easy.

if i measured a bathroom at twenty mts i would tell the customer to get twenty mts ,if i price for twenty mts thats what i want paying for ,regardless of how many cuts i have to do,if any tiles are damaged or simlar that is different,or am i missing something here,i know carpet shops charge for the extra bits but thats on a roll i just dont get it at all why would you want paying for 22 mts,may be im being a bit thick here eh

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
if i measured a bathroom at twenty mts i would tell the customer to get twenty mts ,if i price for twenty mts thats what i want paying for ,regardless of how many cuts i have to do,if any tiles are damaged or simlar that is different,or am i missing something here,i know carpet shops charge for the extra bits but thats on a roll i just dont get it at all why would you want paying for 22 mts,may be im being a bit thick here eh

Question then for you Brian

What do you do with all the waste cuts of your tiles?

John i dont want to get bitchy here ,but i put em wherever the customer wants me to put them,now as we all know here tiles are tiles ,where as you dont need to buy a full 3mts of worktop to get one and a half mts out of it as you will know, would you pay for something that you are not getting ,i for one won,t ,so for my next job i,ve got to tell my customer that the job is twenty mts but im going to charge them for 22mts ,ok ill try it

Reply to Dodgy tricks... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
just been talking to a tiler who is still tiling at 76! so, what age do you think you can carry...
Replies
Views
m3fitter
M
T
DIY SOS. Helping people without time or money, in need desperate need to get a project...
Replies
Views
Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
M
just after abit of advice on what people think of my situation and also is my price fair I've...
Replies
Views
Minesacarling
M
T
Hi all. First time poster here so thanks in advance for any help you can give and apologies if...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB