UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spanky

I need to get a definative answer, all they keep saying is the tiles won't come off the wall, however, travertine is porous I thought, surely the adhesive is waterproof and protects the pasterboard from damp etc.

What does the British Standard say about this?

Obviously I have nearly £1000 worth of tiles on the wall in a method I am pretty sure is not correct.

But is it just not correct, this is a supposed "know what their doing" company.

I am paying quite a bit too have this done.

£7000 in all or their abouts, excluding the tiles.

G

grumpygrouter

Yep, I have to agree with everyone else, deffo a big NO! NO!.

Yes it is porous but you are incorrect about the adhesive being waterproof, it isn't. Hopefully they are putting the tiles onto bare plasterboard and not skimmed, these are heavy tiles I would imagine.

I think you will find (I may be wrong here) that british standards say that adhesive should be applied and combed through with an appropriately sized notched trowel. it will certainly say that on the bag of adhesive!!

F

Fekin

All I can say is what everyones already said, dot and dabbing is not the propper method for any form of tiling, never mind Travertine.
All tiling needs to have adhesive covering the whole rear surface area of the tile, period.

Stand your ground and insist they fix your tiles correctly, and redo what they have botched already, and dont pay a penny until they have fixed their "errors"

And no adhesive company in their right mind will say their product will preform propperly with just dabs of adhesive.

Basically if they are only putting a dab in each corner of the tile then thats the only aread holding the weight of the tile, so if they adhesive covers the whole back of the tile then the weight is shared out over a greater area, meaning they tiles will "should" never fall away from the wall.

If their doing it on floor tiles then within weeks they could all start cracking, maybe sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

spanky

Adhesive used:

Keraflex Maxi & Ultra Proflex SP Adhesives.

Enc Picture showing what the Tiler says is on the back of each tile.
24072008084.jpg

G

Gazzer

G

Gazzer

Because water will find its way through and due to the voids between the tile and wall caused by not having a full bed of adhesive water may hold and then progress through into the plasterboards which wil then break down and then tiles may come loose. Further more those tiles will be heavy and i would want to be sitting in the bath when 5 dabs of adhesive decide they cant hold the tile any longer.
I could sit here all night telling you how wrong this is but i am getting the feeling you dont want to listen so i am opting out. Hope you get it sorted though.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

12 or 13 responses, all saying the same, yet I am still being told it is ok by the Tiler and the contractor.

Is there any particular reason not too Dot & Dab Travertine (30kg Sqm) onto a plasterboard wall. There is no PVA on the wall, it is bare, new plasterboard.

Thanks
This is approaching the safe limit for plasterboard! Add to that what (should be) the correct amount of adhesive, around 3-4kg/m2 and grout then you have issues!

Remind me if we ever we meet not to take a bath or shower in there, I don't want your nice tiles falling onto me.:thumbsup:

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all what adhesive would you recommend for dot and dabbing foam cored backer board onto...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.