Discuss dot n dab boarding.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

what is the correct method of dot n dab boarding onto plasterd wall... Currently in the process of doing me moms bathroom. Ive moved the bath over and there is a gap either end and a 12.5 mm board either end will sort all my problems... I plan to prime the plaster, board and then tile.... But can I use the adhesive I plan to use for the tiles or do I need drywall adhesive? and if my method is incorrect please let me know cheers.

Somerset
Hi Mr Tea Bag - I would recommend screwing the board right into a secure background - e.g. brick/block wall or if drywalled onto a framework find the 4x2 timber supporting the existing board and drill through onto that. Consider - existing drywall (plasterboard) may be nailed not screwed - you are adding weight to the existing wall - once tiled will it take the weight? You can still dob and dab to space the board to fill the gap - but screwing the board securely is always safest bet. Good luck Andy C

Somerset
screws can pull out... dot and dab it with drywall adhesive, this way you can plumb it up spot-on where as screwing your just following what's already there, if there is already plasterboard there and if it's not solid you can always rip out them out and sort that with drywall adhesive
Screws don't pull out if they are properly fixed and plugged into solid block work or brick work and they are always more secure than dob and dab. Anything fixed to a D & D wall must be adequately screwed into the substrata beneath the drywall and D & D.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
A lot of plasterers will only screw board in place nowadays. Walls are not too critical but there is always additional movement with a nailed plasterboard.

Sheet really, bugger,hope all them hundreds of houses ive plastered are ok with all that additional movement from putting thousands of clouts in em, now im panicking :) :) :)

C

Colour Republic

Sheet really, bugger,hope all them hundreds of houses ive plastered are ok with all that additional movement from putting thousands of clouts in em, now im panicking :) :) :)

Lol, I think boards are screwed these days for no other reason except speed.

How so Ali? Nailing is much faster IMO

Screwing is the prefered method because of less movement as Neal says. If you've had to repair as many skimmed walls as I have where the plaster has popped over the nail heads you'd agree Wilder ;)

Nailing is hardly a bodge but screwing is much better

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England

Screwing is the prefered method because of less movement as Neal says. If you've had to repair as many skimmed walls as I have where the plaster has popped over the nail heads you'd agree Wilder ;)

if its nailed right CR it should be fine,if you break the paper then the nails will pop as you say,but ive also seen loads of screwed ceilings/partitions with the same problem,folk going at them with the screw guns like a man possessed by the devil himself,going right into the board.
i do screw all mine now though,just cos every job i go on they always get screws,i hate the blinking things though,splinters off them little buggers are horrid :)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed

Surely the screwguns are quicker?

Somerset
Issue 1 - srews vs nails - nails grip in one direction radiating out from their shank. Screws grip in 3 directions up/down and laterally - because of their helicoil. So screws are always going to hold things more secure than nails. Issue 2 - nail guns vs screw guns - time wise I would say nail guns insert more nails per minute than screw guns, though the difference may only really be noticeable on a large surface area. Issue 3 - nail and screw heads "popping" plaster skim - I would say both equally capable of that - try hitting a plaster skimmed drywall with a mallet and watch the nail and screw heads appear! Issue 4 - will nailed drywalls fail quicker than screwed walls? - depends on weight exerted on them - in other words it depends on weight of the tiles - but I would suggest that a fully dry plaster sheet wall will easily hold the weight of 12mm tiles even if drywall is nailed. But if its wet or if its a ceiling - then maybe not - but then if plaster is wet it will fail no matter how its fixed!

Reply to dot n dab boarding.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB