Guest viewing is limited

Discuss "Dry mix" vs. concrete screed and which is stronger and price differences? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ronin63

TF
Dubai
The LPO was signed and issued to the ceramic tile contractor, so cost and time savings is not the issue. LPO was issued for concrete screed. This one i believe in, since a concrete surface is reliable against earth shifting and causing movement in the soil, and it is just plain stronger.
I was simply inquiring on others' professional opinion, on the strength of this method of dry fix, and if you felt i was able to reduce the payment for less, since the dry fix, in my opinion, isn't stronger, and takes far less time to install.
Also, logic tells me, that this method would only be believable, if i saw the installer doing a concentrated effort at compacting the soil, and, based upon the situation of the install, and please correct me, but it seems there should be a minimum of 75 mm of dry mix sand/cement material, to have something to compact, because i'm sure it must be difficult to compact material that is any less in thickness.
After all, as i said earlier, typical scenario, is that i'm given 100mm from concrete slab to top of finish material, and i've got my 20mm conduit to cover, which is secured to the concrete slab.

D

Dumbo

The LPO was signed and issued to the ceramic tile contractor, so cost and time savings is not the issue. LPO was issued for concrete screed. This one i believe in, since a concrete surface is reliable against earth shifting and causing movement in the soil, and it is just plain stronger.
I was simply inquiring on others' professional opinion, on the strength of this method of dry fix, and if you felt i was able to reduce the payment for less, since the dry fix, in my opinion, isn't stronger, and takes far less time to install.
Also, logic tells me, that this method would only be believable, if i saw the installer doing a concentrated effort at compacting the soil, and, based upon the situation of the install, and please correct me, but it seems there should be a minimum of 75 mm of dry mix sand/cement material, to have something to compact, because i'm sure it must be difficult to compact material that is any less in thickness.
After all, as i said earlier, typical scenario, is that i'm given 100mm from concrete slab to top of finish material, and i've got my 20mm conduit to cover, which is secured to the concrete slab.
There it is . You are not happy with the method he is using because you believe it isn't as strong but if you can get some money all of a sudden it's ok .

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Ronin - I will start by saying I am not a professional tiler (and you can tell this by the questions I ask here). I am an experienced and well qualified engineer. Anyway I used to have an apartment in Dubai as I had some work there and the way in which our bathroom floor was fitted was like this. I remember saying it was similar to how I heard my father said our kitchen floor was done (marble onto sand/cement screed circa 50/55 years ago). I hadnt seen it before and your post caught my eye.

Reply to "Dry mix" vs. concrete screed and which is stronger and price differences? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Pro help please... i have a large outside area 6msq approximately...ive just had a concrete...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, this is my first post here in an amazing forum where I have learned so much. I've used SLC a...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond