Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss dry tile cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

S

sWe

Havn't tried it, but the price and looks suggests it's a cheap version of the Sigma 5, which I have tried. Sigma 5 isn't that bad a cutter, but it isn't that great a cutter either. Good enough for basic ceramics, but not that good at porcelain and stoneware. If the silverline is anything like the S5, expect significant waste on a bit larger tiles, especially hard ones. It helps to keep the rail well clean and lubed, and to have a fresh and sharp scoring wheel.

If it's for DIY stuff, it's probably good enough, but I'd get something with a bit more oomph in for pro work.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sWe

a good workman neve blames his tools.

That implies that there's no such thing as a bad tool, which I'm sure just about everyone here would agree is wrong.

Perhaps I should've been more specific: The Sigma 5 I've tried (tried doesn't really carry enough weight, since I used it for more than 6 months before managing to convince my boss to have it replaced) is the standard version, refered to as "5-standard" in their catalogue.

The 5b, which you refer to, is one step up the ladder if I'm not misstaken.

Anyways, my then collegues (five of them), who also had 5-s's, and I, all agreed on that the quality of the 5-standard was a bit uneven. Some were great, no matter who used it, except on porcellanato type tiles. Some of the 5-s's, mine included, were bad through and through, regardless of the user, on anything other than small to medium sized standard ceramics, and small clinker type tiles.

maybe its someones technique that is lacking.

Look, I may have been a bit unspecific, but there's no need for insults. I wouldn't presume to know anything about you or the circumstances you live and work under, and I most certinly wouldn't assume, let alone suggest anything about someone's skill just because something which works for me doesn't for him.
It's simply not a very gentlemanly thing to do, especially not in a den of gentlemen and gentlewomen such as this... Wouldn't you agree?

F

Fekin

That implies that there's no such thing as a bad tool, which I'm sure just about everyone here would agree is wrong.

Perhaps I should've been more specific: The Sigma 5 I've tried (tried doesn't really carry enough weight, since I used it for more than 6 months before managing to convince my boss to have it replaced) is the standard version, refered to as "5-standard" in their catalogue.

The 5b, which you refer to, is one step up the ladder if I'm not misstaken.

Anyways, my then collegues (five of them), who also had 5-s's, and I, all agreed on that the quality of the 5-standard was a bit uneven. Some were great, no matter who used it, except on porcellanato type tiles. Some of the 5-s's, mine included, were bad through and through, regardless of the user, on anything other than small to medium sized standard ceramics, and small clinker type tiles.

Look, I may have been a bit unspecific, but there's no need for insults. I wouldn't presume to know anything about you or the circumstances you live and work under, and I most certinly wouldn't assume, let alone suggest anything about someone's skill just because something which works for me doesn't for him.
It's simply not a very gentlemanly thing to do, especially not in a den of gentlemen and gentlewomen such as this... Wouldn't you agree?

I'd agree on that, after all, if every single cutter of one type all worked exactly as the rest then everyone would have the same opinions of them.

Where as they don't, in many cases for any form of cutter you'll find highly experianced tradesmen will differ opinions on how well a cutter works, and not take it as they are not using it correctly.

F

fastcam

Thanks for the quick replies guys.Jock at how2tile in grangemouth recommended them as he said he only ever uses floating bed dry cutters.I suppose it is a personal choice thing.I used the 330mm & 630mm cutters and both seemed good.As im just starting out would i be better going for the 630mm as for obvious reasons it will be bigger for floor tiles.The only downside i can see is lugging it around and when only cutting small ceramic wall tiles it looks a bit overkill.

G

Gazzer

T

There was no insult, i have a Sigma and have no problems with any tile i have used, where as you seem to have problems so there for some one has a problem with technique. The style between a Rubi type cutter and a Sigma is very different. My brother used to mock the Sigma until the day we were laying Quarry tiles and his Rubi wasnt up to the job, where as the Sigma sailed through.
Alas he couldnt get on with the Sigma and this was mainly down to the fasct he didnt use it for all cutting, he would use the Rubi one day and Sigma next.
At the end of the day we use what we like best.

G

Gazzer

Thanks for the quick replies guys.Jock at how2tile in grangemouth recommended them as he said he only ever uses floating bed dry cutters.I suppose it is a personal choice thing.I used the 330mm & 630mm cutters and both seemed good.As im just starting out would i be better going for the 630mm as for obvious reasons it will be bigger for floor tiles.The only downside i can see is lugging it around and when only cutting small ceramic wall tiles it looks a bit overkill.

You are quite right about lugging things around. If you have the space in your van or car then having a choice of cutter is great. If i was on a job where it was all splashbacks (3 course etc) then i would choose a Rubi so as to drop other small items in the Rubi case so i could move around quicker.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Going back to the origional post, i had a rep brought that sigma copy into the training centre and left it for a day for the students to have a go, well ive used the sigma cutters and this copy is nowhere near as good, needless to say it was given back to the rep. Floating bed cutters are good though, means you can generally break angles anywhere on the bed. Generally more money you pay the better the tools are, simple as that.

Reply to dry tile cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Currently using TX700N but obviously now too small for the 1200x600mm I'm increasingly being...
Replies
Views
Hi all Can anyone recommend a cutter for herringbone, got 200m2 of 300x150 walls to do in a few...
Replies
Views
I need a tile cutter gor 600x600 Italian porcelain and am close to pulling the trigger on the...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
dry tile cutter
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.4%