UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss electric ufh on plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

I've been to see a job today where the tiles have lifted (i never laid them, i was too busy so the customer had to get someone else) 300 x 300 ceramics on ordinary ply. don't know what thickness yet. the ufh heating wire is of course ruined too, it was switched on fully almost immediatley after tiles were laid:yikes: the customer is getting a joiner to change boards to 25mm marine ply and after me recommending she has got some new ufh cable from u-heat. i will be priming the boards prior to re-laying the tiles with rapid set flexi. would you lay any differently? i've done this many times but just checking due to the tiles already failing. i know it's prob due to heating on straight away and wrong ply. cheers guys. :thumbsup: mike

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I always like to lay the matting on an insulation board or a cement board so if you could add that into the equation that would be good. Place under floor heating then 2 part mapped leveling compound over the wires. Thanks.

That is uncanny Bri's post no 2 is word for word the same as yours, apart from the last sentence. I know they say great minds think alike, but I wonder.........Ummmm?????:yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mortarforker

I've been to see a job today where the tiles have lifted (i never laid them, i was too busy so the customer had to get someone else) 300 x 300 ceramics on ordinary ply. don't know what thickness yet. the ufh heating wire is of course ruined too, it was switched on fully almost immediatley after tiles were laid:yikes: the customer is getting a joiner to change boards to 25mm marine ply and after me recommending she has got some new ufh cable from u-heat. i will be priming the boards prior to re-laying the tiles with rapid set flexi. would you lay any differently? i've done this many times but just checking due to the tiles already failing. i know it's prob due to heating on straight away and wrong ply. cheers guys. :thumbsup: mike
I know this is an old thread but..

When I install a heating mat down, first I trowel Mapelastic HPC over the plywood.."waterproof/anti fracture membrane"

Then I stick the mat or mat's down leaving 4-6 inches on the outer perimeter of the room.

Then I secure some 1/2" inch Cement board down with thinset and screws around the perimeter of the room..

Then mix some Modified Thinset with some fine sand and water and fill in the center between the 1/2'' boards using them to screed off of...

After it dries for 24-48 hours depending on heat/cold apply another coat of Mapelastic HPC..Let dry and start tiling on a flat sturdy floor..Read directions on materials used always..:incazzato:

D

doug boardley

I know this is an old thread but..

When I install a heating mat down, first I trowel Mapelastic HPC over the plywood.."waterproof/anti fracture membrane"

Then I stick the mat or mat's down leaving 4-6 inches on the outer perimeter of the room.

Then I secure some 1/2" inch Cement board down with thinset and screws around the perimeter of the room..

Then mix some Modified Thinset with some fine sand and water and fill in the center between the 1/2'' boards using them to screed off of...

After it dries for 24-48 hours depending on heat/cold apply another coat of Mapelastic HPC..Let dry and start tiling on a flat sturdy floor..Read directions on materials used always..:incazzato:
wrong way round imo, what's to stop you piercing the ufh when overlaying? personally I lay the backer boards then matting then slc.

M

Mortarforker

wrong way round imo, what's to stop you piercing the ufh when overlaying? personally I lay the backer boards then matting then slc.
I use a LOUD MOUTH..You hook it up to the wires during installation...It tells you if the wire has been cut ....And I also use a fiberglass trowel to skim over the UFH..Make any sense now..Doug? No cut wires No self leveling cement that "REALLY DOES NOT SELF LEVEL" You have to push it into place...haha..self leveling is for home owners that know no other way..

J

jay

I use a LOUD MOUTH..You hook it up to the wires during installation...It tells you if the wire has been cut ....And I also use a fiberglass trowel to skim over the UFH..Make any sense now..Doug? No cut wires No self leveling cement that "REALLY DOES NOT SELF LEVEL" You have to push it into place...haha..self leveling is for home owners that know no other way..

I'm with Doug on this one . but its interesting different parts of the world different methods. and slc will level if done right

D

doug boardley

Really??, good to know I've been doing it wrong for 30 years then.

D

doug boardley

UFH matting has been around for 30 years? Really? Right way/Wrong way..There are many ways to do the same job..Im not saying any way is wrong or right..It's up to the installer to be inventive and try new idea's..Did'nt mean to ruffle any feathers..Cheers..
I was actually referring to slc'ing, to long in the tooth to have my feathers ruffled.

Reply to electric ufh on plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.