UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Ensuite revamp suggestions and photo diary...... starting from scratch! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Hi folks, I joined the forum a few days ago (and introduced myself in the relevant thread) as I need as much advice and suggestions as possible. I am new to all of this tiling business. I am a competent diy’er aside!

I live in a 3 bed 1960's bungalow in Wimborne, Dorset which I am slowly renovating to a more modern spec. I am starting with our en suite. Its not that big, only measuring 1.5m x 2.5m. I have had my plasterer round and the ceiling has been skimmed.

As you can see from the photos of how the ensuite was, its dated and needed ripping out as the shower tray had been leaking ever since the previous owner fitted it 11 years ago which has caused extensive damage to my hallway. Apologies for the graffiti on the walls, I was trying to show my wife how the new layout would be.

I need as many suggestions from you all as possible. I hope to keep a photo diary going (on this post if the mods are ok with that). I have numbered my spec's and questions so they are easier for you all to answer.

Here go's with my spec-
1. Solid (uninsulated) concrete floor which is level
2. Solid wall on right and at end - stud wall at door/ shower end and whole of left wall. Solid wall is plastered (see pics)
3. I want travatine wall and floor
4. I want underfloor heating (150w)
5. I already have Homelux matting for tanking shower area (2 wall rolls, 1 floor roll and joint roll)
6. I am fitting Purity toliet and Uplift sink (both from B&Q) with square trap and tap designs. Also fitting large chrome towel warmer
7. I have purchased a new Merlyn offset quadrant shower enclosure and tray
8. Shower tray needs to be raised approx 9" from floor as the fall in the waste pipe from the old shower leaked as alot of standing water. I was thinking of tiling this at the base using trav mosaic
9. Waste from shower, water pipes and rad pipes will all be hidden in tiled boxing around bottom corner of room
10. I am fitting 3 directional downlighters and one shower extractor vent above the shower area (with built in downlighter). The other 2 holes in the ceiling are for ceiling mounted speakers. See photos
Questions.....
1. I need suggestions on size of tiles in a small room as I like 400x400 floor and 600x400 wall. Will these look too big?
2. Does different shades on wall & floor look best, or keep the same?
3. What layout design looks best on wall and floor. I like landscape on walls (brick work style) and unsure about floor (will laying diagonally work?)
4. What material should I use to make up the pipe boxing?
5. What tiles should I use on the boxing..... mosaic or trav tiles?
6. Do I lay the wall tiles first, then the floor or vice versa?
7. Do I insert a border in the design, or is this a bit dated now?
8. What size spacers will I need
9. What is best adhesive to use for everything?
10. What is best grout to use?
11. Is warmup ufh ok?
12. Will I need insulation under ufh?
13. Shall I replace plaster board with hardie backer cement board?
14. Do I use the shower tray that is coming with the enclosure or do I go down the wet-room style shower using the enclosure (fully tanked with wet room tray with trav mosaic on etc etc). Either way I need to raise it all up off of the floor on a frame I am going to make from wood. I am paranoid now of leaks from tray and/or waste.

Sorry about the lengthy post, just want a quality finish that will last!

Cheers

Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_9090.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9093.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9095.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9092.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9096.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9106.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9100.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9099.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9098.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9091.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 68
D

DHTiling

Questions.....
1. I need suggestions on size of tiles in a small room as I like 400x400 floor and 600x400 wall. Will these look too big?
Your choice really but popular sizes, so should be ok

2. Does different shades on wall & floor look best, or keep the same?
wall and floor tiles can differ in shading even if same style...

3. What layout design looks best on wall and floor. I like landscape on walls (brick work style) and unsure about floor (will laying diagonally work?)
This is really your choice..but i dont think brick pattern on walls goes with diamond floor...
4. What material should I use to make up the pipe boxing?
Plasterboard or backerboard, depending on location to wet area's

5. What tiles should I use on the boxing..... mosaic or trav tiles?
Again this is personal choice.

6. Do I lay the wall tiles first, then the floor or vice versa?
Some do walls forst and some do floor first, this is what method suits you best.

7. Do I insert a border in the design, or is this a bit dated now?
Borders are still ok...some are having them at picture rail height.

8. What size spacers will I need
2mm or 3mm look good...again personal choice.

9. What is best adhesive to use for everything?
A Single part flexible.. standard or rapid set.

10. What is best grout to use?
Flexible is good , choice of colour is yours.

11. Is warmup ufh ok?
It's fine....uheat do a good one as well.

12. Will I need insulation under ufh?
It will help with running costs..

13. Shall I replace plaster board with hardie backer cement board?
If feasable then yes...

14. Do I use the shower tray that is coming with the enclosure or do I go down the wet-room style shower using the enclosure (fully tanked with wet room tray with trav mosaic on etc etc). Either way I need to raise it all up off of the floor on a frame I am going to make from wood. I am paranoid now of leaks from tray and/or waste.
This is personal choice as well...wetdecs does a tuff2 tray..very good for quick installation.

Good luck...:thumbsup:

Q

Qwerty

Well........ one year on and another baby later (hence delay along with doing other tiling jobs other than my own!) and Im finished. Better photos are in JOTM may post in the Tilers Forums Arms section. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Attachments

• geoffs phone 27052074.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 52
  • geoffs phone 27052047.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 50
  • geoffs phone 27052011.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 53
  • geoffs phone 27052015.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 51
  • geoffs phone 27052081.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 49
  • geoffs phone 27052046.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 46
  • geoffs phone 27052035.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 51
  • geoffs phone 27052066.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 50
  • geoffs phone 27052082.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 51
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ensuite revamp suggestions and photo diary...... starting from scratch! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Please see rough sketch. My ensuite is 2x2 m with the door opening into the left into the room...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.