Discuss Ensuite shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

ladbroke

Hi to you all, This is my first post so here goes!

I have a small ensuite shower 700mm x 700mm. I've got a stone/concrete shower tray ready to fit. The main part of my question is the walls. After speaking to a friend who is a tiler, he suggested I could leave the existing tiles on the wall and simply tile over them. I don't want to do this, as it seems a bit 'cowboy' and also being plasterboard I'm concerned about the amount of weight on the boards. What I've decided to do is take the old tiles off and use a backer board like this: Marmox Backer Board 2400x600x10mm

At a cost of about £90 to my project it seems worth it for piece of mind. However after reading the instructions, it says I need to tape each joint of the backerboard with the waterproof tape, and at around £50 for the tape, it seems a bit pricey! Is there a cheaper alternative to using the marmox tape, or should I bite the bullet and just buy it?

I currently live in the property, but will be renting it out in the near future, so don't want to be going round every couple of months to sort out the leaking shower! :thumbsdown:

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

Reply to Ensuite shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ensuite shower
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.