Discuss Expansion joints / ufh / pumped screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

ernie

Hi All

If you have in screed UFH over an area of 220m2 finished in limestone flags with decoupling layer, how the hell do you impliment expansion joints which are recommended every 40m2 in a lafarge pumped screed. I have seen the Schulter expansion joints but they all seem to be put in against a finished edge of screed. With a pumped screed this surely isnt poss? What am I missing? do you have to lay the UFH in a pattern that allows for these joints and then saw cut the joints? Any help greatly appreciated.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Are you talking about the joints in the screed or the joints in the tiling.

If its joints in the screed they should run through all door thresholds and in between independently controlled heating zones.

If I can figure out how to post it these days I have a section drawing which might be of use.

Joints are NOT required in these screeds at bays of 40m2 however the rules which are laid out in BS8204 part 7 2003 will usually dictate that the bays are less than 40m2 anyway unless you are in a really big room. This bay size unfortunately is based on the use of cement based screed. The tiling standards do not deal very well with pumped screeds so I think manufacturers advice is needed. The need for joints in your tile face remain unchanged.

Additional joints may be needed if any areas exceed 20 linear meters long or with an aspect ratio of more than 8:1 e.g. long thin corridors or L shaped rooms.

Other areas for potential consideration are large conservatories or sun lounges where there is likely to be solar gain and areas where there are abrupt changes to aspect ratio. All of these joints are exactly the same as those which should be placed in any screed but unfortunately should and are are often significantly different concepts.

As you are placing the joints to take account of thermal movement they must full full depth and compressible. This means that they should be placed prior to the installation of the screed using preformed compressible joint formers. Schluter do one called Dilex DFP and there are others available from for example CCF merchants and I think Sheffield Insulations as well.

Where these cross over underfloor heating pipes they are very simple to cut over the pipes using a Stanley Knife although you can buy a special tool for the job.

Last edited:

Reply to Expansion joints / ufh / pumped screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, looking for advice. About to install a limestone floor. 900mm x 600mm x18mm on a 50mm...
Replies
Views
Limestone Expansion Joints I was wondering if some of you experts could offer some advice. I...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been given the opportunity to quote for a 110m floor in a chevron pattern...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Expansion joints / ufh / pumped screed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.