Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Expensive Mistakes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

I would like your advice on something...

One of my fixers, has completely booched up a staircase. I mean seriously booched it up, There were two staircases the first one hes installed well, however, for some god forsaken reason, he didnt take and measurements on the 2nd staircase, in fact he checked nothing, when I went to check, I was like what the **** has gone on here, the one staircase, the treads are sitting 15mm higher than the one on the opp side :mad2::mad2:

There is no way this area will get passed, and I know that the marble have to be torn up and more ordered in. When I spoke to him, he said the drawings werent up to date...thats no excuse in my book. I expect to hear it from someone new to the work, not someone whos been doing it for 25 years. I know Im going to get knocked by the main contractor now, Im expecting a phone call anytime soon about it. Question is... do I deduct the price of the materials and his price work in total or a percentage and tell him hes not getting paid nowt?

I really think I should knock him for the lot, so why do I feel so bad about having to do this..Perhaps I need to toughen up a bit more...

Lynn

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
He's self employed faith, and to top it of today he rang me at 10 to say he was going home, as the plumbers were in and he couldnt be bothered to wait around for them to finish. That sets my blood boiling, when someone says they cant be bothered.

Lynn

with that quote of what he said pebbs it soundsd like he has little interest for whatever reason in what hes doing at the moment,,not someone you need on expensive high spec jobs imo

P

Pebbs

Thanks lads, your right all of you, and what you said. Im going to speak with him in the morning and tell him im deducting the cost of the material, and his price work for that job is nil. If he hits the roof, then so be it, he can walk down the road and work for another lot. If hes ok about it, fair enough, but I'll take him out of that site, I know how it works if they think you have a bad fixer in the gang.

What a great Tuesday its going to be!!

Lynn

C

Colour Republic

Not sure on this one, depends if you've ever used the phase "You're not paid to think, you paid to do as I say':lol:

TBH even if he isn't paid to think it shows a lack of care not to check the drawimgs are up to date. Whenever i'm given drawings i always distrust them until I have checked 100% they are an up to date copy as I know old drawings have a habit of stay on site for months! and then even then i'd still check them for potential problems that don't seem right.

Afraid you might have to pay him then let him go.

Reply to Expensive Mistakes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Expensive Mistakes
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.