Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Failed Topps Former Tray in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daveyboy

I've been asked to sort out a failed wetroom area where the grout keeps cracking. The tiler (not sure if he is as the tiling is appalling) cannot explain why it keeps cracking but give him his due he has tried and has paid out of his own pocket to try and put it right.

I've had a look at it and found two issues. The first is that there is a lot of flex in the tray when you stand on it, which will no doubt be the cause of the cracking (no fitting instructions on site). The second is the underfloor heating, which if it is over 100 watts, should not be fitted on a former tray (the client does not know if it is or not and no instructions to hand).

I've fitted a lot of former trays but never a Topps one. Does anyone know if they should have supports underneath them or can they be laid straight onto the joists? If straight onto the joists then the problem may be the joists themselves.

Also, do they have a watt restriction for underfloor heating? If they don't, then I won't have to rip up the whole floor, just the wet area..

Attachments

• failed topps former tray.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 83
D

Daveyboy

hi havent used that brand but if its to be tiled you are better off suporting to the max as tiles dont like movement the floor heating i dont know but the picture scares me

Cheers Jay, I got that feeling when I looked at the job... the picture looks good compared to real life!

I've checked the Topps website/instruction but it doesn't say how the substrate needs to be prepared (unlike Impey tray instructions), although it does say it has to be stable - clearly this one isn't..

The Topps website/instructions do not mention the underfloor heating limitations of the former so will have to investigate further on that one...

D

Daveyboy

I could be wrong but when I looked at topps wetroom trays last year I'm pretty sure they were pushing the Impey tray.

This could be an impey tray, and hence Impey installation method would apply, would it not?

The tray certainly has the same waste trap that Impey trays use, but is covered with a tanking membrane/UFH/etc so can't be sure, but it is possible. The client has confirmed he wants me to do the repair works, so I will know when I rip it out...I'll keep you all posted as things progress :thumbsup:

D

Daveyboy

I'm booked in to dismantle it all next Friday so will keep you posted on the flexing problem(s)... will definately sort out the UFH gaffa tape situation so that adhesive can stick to former.

the client has been quizzing the various trades involved in all this...someone did work on the joists/supports, someone fitted the tray and the tiler laid the UFH and tiles... apparently the tray was then taken up because of cracking grout and then refitted by the tiler and re-tiled but cracked again...they're all convinced it's not their work causing the cracking....but the client did find about 20 spare screws after the board went back down, re-tiled, etc...sure hope they didn't forget to screw it down!!

Reply to Failed Topps Former Tray in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Failed Topps Former Tray
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond