Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Failed Topps Former Tray in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daveyboy

I've been asked to sort out a failed wetroom area where the grout keeps cracking. The tiler (not sure if he is as the tiling is appalling) cannot explain why it keeps cracking but give him his due he has tried and has paid out of his own pocket to try and put it right.

I've had a look at it and found two issues. The first is that there is a lot of flex in the tray when you stand on it, which will no doubt be the cause of the cracking (no fitting instructions on site). The second is the underfloor heating, which if it is over 100 watts, should not be fitted on a former tray (the client does not know if it is or not and no instructions to hand).

I've fitted a lot of former trays but never a Topps one. Does anyone know if they should have supports underneath them or can they be laid straight onto the joists? If straight onto the joists then the problem may be the joists themselves.

Also, do they have a watt restriction for underfloor heating? If they don't, then I won't have to rip up the whole floor, just the wet area..

Attachments

• failed topps former tray.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 83
D

Daveyboy

As promised, here's the update on the failed topps former tray. The problem is a lot worse than first thought but isn't that always the case....

The floor tiles weren't bonding with the tray because of too much duck tape holding down the underfloor heating.
The wrong size/length screws had been used to hold down the tray and some had snapped.
The sub-base was very sub-standard and 12mm instead of 18mm ply had been used, with very few screws holding it down. The joist/plywood supports were badly fitted and could be moved by hand.
The walls had not been correctly prepared and as a result the tanking kit was peeling off.
Tubbed adhesive had been used for the wall tiles and had not yet set (two months on) - the only thing holding up the tiles was the grout.
The shower wall had no support other than the glass wall so when we removed that to get the tray out, the shower wall started moving around.
When we took the tray out, the rest of the floor starting bouncing which suggests the backer board they've used is not correctly fitted.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

The only good news is that despite everything, the underfloor heating still works.

It's effectively a complete rip out and re-install so I now have to wait until the client decides how to proceed.

Attachments

• Image023.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Image022.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Image021.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Image020.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 25
  • Image019.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Image024.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Image025.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Image026.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Image027.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 22

Reply to Failed Topps Former Tray in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Failed Topps Former Tray
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond