UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Feel guilty in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

penno

Doing a private job today, 3sqm of black metro brick tiles on a splashback and a 3sqm bathroom floor, 60 x 30 on concrete. Got the job as i was in the tile shop when they came in to pick the gear up, basically asked me were they being over priced. Tiler priced them .....£840 labour only!! Really nice couple, only young and this bloke must have seen them coming a mile away. Thing is they have told me they will give me half the price they agreed with the other bloke, £420.
It is a brand new build, bottom floor apartment, they are not there today but leaving me the money in the office with the keys in the site office. Xmas or not i am really thinking of leaving £200 of that cash behind when i leave. Job is so straight forward, days work tops including a quick grout up in the morning. Reckon i would be as bad as the other bloke taking it.

S

Stef

I would leave them the money mate,

same as what Doug says, You will get more work in the long term with an act of kindness like that.

As Mike says its not cheap for a days work, roughly £36 m2. thats a good price.

Theres a lot of people struggling out there & i hate to see anyone getting ripped off with prices like that.

Flip side, the peeps were daft enough to only get 1 price though.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
The fact that your thinking of giving back some of the money is the answer to your question.What trade would you pay £420 for the hours its going to take to do the job ?.They may be young & not have a clue but no one likes being ripped off.Plus if you take all the money,santa will know you havent been a good little boy & you wont get what you asked for. :santa_wink:

H

hillhead

I'd leave some myself if more work is to come from it,
If you take the whole lot and they talk to friends etc about near getting ripped off but you done it for X !! The friend might say you ripped then off too,
It might boil down to how much you need it though too, if you agreed that figure then you're entitled.
Nice story this, leave 100 if you go back. Might work.
Oh, good luck too penno.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i wouldn't do a kitchen on a m2 price, and the bathroom floor would depend on weather i had to cut around the pan and basin.

if cutting round pan and basin, with kitchen splash back, my price would be around the £300

if it is a brand new house, she may have got the tiler from the site to price the work, and from my experience, they price high because they dont realy want it, they may be traveling miles to the site, and it may be more hassle to them than its worth.

S

Stewart

So of I've got this right... The majority of you would give some money back to the customer after they offered you a price to do a job and you accepted!

I thought you were all self employed businessmen. No one is ripping anyone off, as both parties have agreed the price before hand, while also saving the customer 50% of the original price. Would you give the same deal to a builder who gave you the same offer?

Created on iPhone.....

S

Stewart

Stewart,

I think its a question of morals here.

I class myself as an honest tradesman, i would be more than happy to make an honest days wage.

imo the peeps were getting ripped off & what penno is doing should be applauded.

Accepting a reasonable price you have been offered isn't morally wrong, it's sound business sense and as I asked earlier, would you do the same if a builder offered you the same deal. I also don't think £420 is excessive for the work IMO.

We all get different rates for our tiling and there is no argument that the first price was a ripoff, but I have accepted far more for far less work in the past from customers and builders to do a job at short notice and I sleep very well at night.

Created on iPhone.....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If it makes you fel better and you think they need it more than you leave them £50 as a gesture. If on the other hand you have agreed the price and they have paid you and you are comfortable that your work is worth it then why on earth would you beleive it to be a rip off. It is only a rip off if one party in the deal feels aggrieved by it. Don't sell yourself short out of sympathy though cos that way lies the path to the "workhouse".

On the other hand they may be sitting thinkin they have got one over on you as they are only paying you half what the other bloke wanted.......

Maybe leave them a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates as a Christmas gift. Sometimes that means more than money as well.

C

CJ CERAMICS

Penno i would not leave them £200.00, i would leave them £100 and a note explaining that due to the fact that you encountered no problems and the timescale involved you felt that £320 was a more realistic price for the job, and that at the agreed price youn felt that you would be taking advantage of the situation and that all your jobs are priced on indivdual merits, ie difficulty size etc etc. That way if they do pass on your details you can price accordingly. Wish them a merry christmas and leave a few of your cards for family and friends.

chris

Reply to Feel guilty in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Good Morning,new member here, been in the game 25 years, but never too old to learn stuff. I...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Feel guilty
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.