Discuss Fell out with a neighbour in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Replying to another post regarding tile on tile has reminded me of something that has happened over the last 2 months.
When i moved into this house i befriended one of the neighbours and have done lots of little jobs for him as he has confessed he is a DIY disaster zone.
A job he has been asking me to do is retile his bathroom which is fully tiled and then over the years has been painted over the tiles. Further more there is a shower over the bath and the bath is at leat 10mm away from the tiles. To overcome this the previous owner or whoever fitted the bath/tiles placed a piece of timber ontop of the edge of the bath and up to the tiles. Of course over the years this has been a source of leaks and now the wood is saturated.
He keeps asking for me to reseal the area, i have told him it wont cure it and said it all needs to come out but he has been told "by his mate...who is a truck driver" that it can be done. So over the years he has tried to do it himself and "the mate" has tried and still it leaks !
Anyway i noticed before xmas that he was unusually quiet with me...almost avoiding me. So last week i was tidying the garage and he pulled up, so i made the effort to get him to talk to me.
It seems he is miffed with me because i wouldnt do what he asked..(tile over tiles that had been painted) and now over the xmas period a section of ceiling had collapsed due to the leak. This is made worse due to the fact that the ceiling had just been skimmed to get rid of artex.
So he is blaming me for all of this by ignoring me :mad2:.
I explained that i told him it needed doing properly and a full refit was needed, he could have reused the bathroom suite but he wouldnt have it.
So he now has a hole in his ceiling in the corner of the room ! So what does he do ? He has his "mate" around and he has screwed a piece of ply into the hole and about 3 buckets of ready mixed filler over that. In the bathroom about 4 tubes (by the look of it) of silicone has been daubed everywhere.........He proudly sticks his chest out and says " No water will get through that"....i turned around and went back to tidying the garage :mad2::mad2:

R

Rob Z

Wow Neale that is a whopper. :mad2:

I just had a similar one this past week...our customer wants us to do some work and I detailed what we could do...so he says "Let me go over this with my wife". He calls back to say "My wife isn't comfortable with that.....she told the people in her office and they say that won't work". I said "OK, I'm not going to argue by phone with some people I don't know that work in an office...we can talk later once you've decided what you want". :lol:

What a ******.

M

mikethetile

i would love to meet family friend aka a freind of the family

i would like some marketing advice from him as everywhere i go he got to the job before me

and despite lashing the job up big time he still gets loadsa work as lo and behold a month or so later i will follow him on yet another job

i will by him a pint for his marketing secret and another for creating a big job out of a simple job and keeping me out of mischief

A

albyshellshear

thats why i dont befriend neighbours just hello & goodbye and maybe a wave, lived in my house 10 yrs they have never been in mine nor me theirs, where i used to live many moons ago two familys who were best freinds fell out it ended in war, smashing each others cars, trick calls and finaly a petrol bomb thrown at a back wall rediculouse, tell the idiot to get a quote of another reputable tiler when he comes up with the same theory as you. Result :thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Re fitted and tiled the walls of a neighbours bathroom. Didn't do the floor because he wanted vinyl! I'm getting the blame two years later for making the floorboards squeak!

Another neighbour, whom I just reattached an outside vent or something, told her she owed me a pint. True to her word she came out with a four pack of co-op 'best' bitter!, split the pack, gave me one and took the other three back in the house!! stunned!

Reply to Fell out with a neighbour in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
Hi been a lurker for a while. I buy property and renovate to sell or rent. I do most of this...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
We are redoing our bathroom and had a long discussion on tanking with our handyman who does...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Fell out with a neighbour
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.