Discuss First Attempt at Floor Tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

andyb

Hi Guys - not sure whether to post here or in the adhesives forum - I guess it depends if you think the problem I'm describing is adhesive related or something else...

Anyway, have had more than one 'flood' in the kitchen over the years - once from the washing machine door springing open and emptying the contents and another with a bath leak through the ceiling. The thermoplastic floor tiles that came with the house started cracking and lifting and in the end we thought we would just rip it up and lay tiles.

However, although the thermoplastic tiles came up easily enough, the bitumen-like glue underneath didn't.

Research revealed that it would be inadvisable to lay tiles onto that surface without cleaning the bitumen/glue off first. As an alternative I read that you could overlay the concrete subfloor with plywood and then tile on top of that, with an appropriate adhesive.

A trip to Travis Perkins and I was advised to use 5mm ext grade plywood ('this is what everyone uses') - duly delivered and laid and held down by Fischer Nylon Hammerfix F 6 x 40mm fixings at 450mm centres. This was laid over a 4mm layer of Airtec Double Foil Reflective Bubble Insulation to try and reduce heat loss through the floor.

After watching the 'how-to' video that came with the ceramic tiles we purchased in the sale from Homebase (round the corner), I opted for grey Evo Stick 'Tile a Floor' ready mixed Flexible adhesive & grout for ceramic tiles - water proof - allows wide joints - wooden floors version - sounds like the business.

The bucket had a clock label marked 'standard set' with the hands at '10 to 2'. I initially thought this meant 4 hours (!) however, the instructions say allow a minimum of 24 hours before grouting.

My problem is that I laid the first batch of tiles last Thursday (17th Jan). Inspecting the floor today to see if I could start grouting I realised that two of the tiles had 'popped' and were loose. I suspect other tiles may have a similar problem but I don't want to do too much poking until I know what the problem is...

On lifting one of the popped tiles I realised that, although the adhesive had dried around the perimeter of the tile, the adhesive from about 10mm in was still wet! When lifted the adhesive split equally between the tile and the floor.

Is this a subfloor problem? an adhesive problem? a technique issue? temperature/humidity?

Grateful for any ideas

Over to you...

A

andyb

Airtec Double Foil Reflective Bubble Insulation???? did travis perkins advise this too?

No, that was my idea on the basis that the ply and fixings combination would prevent any movement. I'd seen airtec used under chipboard flooring before so assumed it was ok to use

whoever advised on the 5mm ply should be shot in order to eliminate giving advise that will guarantee floor failure!

I actually asked for 6mm ply but both the guy in the woodstore and at the shop front said this was the one that everybody used for 'smoothing' concrete floors

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyb

floortililgkitchen1opt.jpg Ok - thanks for all the replies - I've lifted another tile and it seems that the adhesive is just not setting even though these tiles were laid last Thursday evening.

Looks like I'm going to have to start again :(

But at least the adhesive is coming away with a scraper so may be able to reuse the tiles?

D

Deleted member 9966

Andy
Start now, getting the tiles up and cleaned off. as time consuming as it might sound, get one up at a time and soak it in a bucket of water. you should be able to rub the adhesive off by using your fingers or perhaps a scraper. The minute you get a tile up and open the adhesive up to the air, the adhesive will start to set and become more difficult to remove. You might be lucky to be able to save the whole lot of tiles.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As a tiler, I had a situation in my own home with regards to the sub-floor. If it's bitumen: it's not going to accept tiles. No adhesive manufacturer/levelling compound will take this floor on as it moves too much. Trust me - called them all! It's like a squishy ball of rubber that reacts to temperature in a huge way....tiling is no-go. I fitted solid oak flooring ;(

So asphalt tile adhesive (ATA) can't be tiled on, wow you learn something every day. Or is it Bitumen that can't be tiled on? as a novice tiler I thought if you prepared the surface correctly ie slurry bond for ATA, or the right slc for Bitumen prior to tiling you would be good to go. Ply is a different animal imo. I have been doing everything wrong for 46yrs, thanks for putting me right.:smilewinkgrin:

A

andyb

Andy
Start now, getting the tiles up and cleaned off. as time consuming as it might sound, get one up at a time and soak it in a bucket of water. you should be able to rub the adhesive off by using your fingers or perhaps a scraper. The minute you get a tile up and open the adhesive up to the air, the adhesive will start to set and become more difficult to remove. You might be lucky to be able to save the whole lot of tiles.

Update: managed to recover ALL of the tiles laid so far so thanks for this advice. :thumbsup:
Thsi is what it looks like at the mo:

floortililgkitchen2opt.jpg

Now the problem is how to get the hammer fixings out of the floor - they are well and truly stuck by the tile adhesive :(

I've worked out a possible method and that is to use a holesaw in a drill just slightly bigger than the fixing - this will at least allow me to lift the ply.

floortililgkitchen3opt.jpg

Hopefully, this will also allow enough purchase to use a claw lever to get the fixing out without the head breaking off.

[update] - fixings successfully pulled out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyb

So asphalt tile adhesive (ATA) can't be tiled on, wow you learn something every day. Or is it Bitumen that can't be tiled on? as a novice tiler I thought if you prepared the surface correctly ie slurry bond for ATA, or the right slc for Bitumen prior to tiling you would be good to go. Ply is a different animal imo. I have been doing everything wrong for 46yrs, thanks for putting me right.:smilewinkgrin:

hmm - seems there's a difference of opinion brewing here... in my case it's some kind of bitumen based thermoplastic floortile adhesive. I'll carry on lifting the floor and then post a piccie or too when uncovered and hopefully folk can then tell me what to do next. (politely please...)

D

DHTiling

hmm - seems there's a difference of opinion brewing here... in my case it's some kind of bitumen based thermoplastic floortile adhesive. I'll carry on lifting the floor and then post a piccie or too when uncovered and hopefully folk can then tell me what to do next. (politely please...)

It's ok , the other guy is a troll and was just ripping into the thread.. the substrate can be tiled to if prepped right.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry Andy, I was having a tant, I have a thing about people giving bad advice on TF. Your thermoplastic tiles were fixed in ATA ( Asphalt tile adhesive) if you can remove as much of the ATA as poss, a heat gun and scraper might help.

You can then stabilize the floor using a slurry bond mix of your chosen adhesive and SBR. If you can post some pics it would help.

NB.Some Thermoplastic tiles contain asbestos, so take precautions,:thumbsup:

A

andyb

..Your thermoplastic tiles were fixed in ATA ( Asphalt tile adhesive) if you can remove as much of the ATA as poss, a heat gun and scraper might help.

You can then stabilize the floor using a slurry bond mix of your chosen adhesive and SBR. If you can post some pics it would help.

NB.Some Thermoplastic tiles contain asbestos, so take precautions,:thumbsup:

Hmm - too late for that as the tiles were lifted some time ago :(

Ok - I have removed the ply and left down the airtec for the moment (yes - I'm not going to tile over it!)

Here's some piccies, which I hope will help y'all confirm what type of black adhesive we're dealing with...

floortililgkitchen4rotopt.jpg

and a close up (not much depth of field I'm afraid but hopefully still helpful)...

floortililgkitchen5opt.jpg

btw - you'll have noticed that the next room has a laminate floor covering so there's going to be a junction between where it ends and the tiling begins. The flooring supplier had recommended using an Incizo Quick Step profile to match the flooring. You can cut it a number of ways but bearing in mind that there may be a slight change in level once the tiling is down would it be better to use a bullnose profile on the tile side and then lay the tiles up to it?

floortililgkitchen6opt.jpg

as always grateful for advice from the experienced...

A

andyb

I've done lots of these floors slurry coat mixed with SBR never had a problem ,tub floor adhesive rubbish 5 mm ply what a joke Builders merchants staff will tell you anything to sell there product but would deny if it goes wrong.

so is the sbr available from Screwfix ok to use in this case?

I see two products available -

No Nonsense SBR Primer White 1kg | NoLinksToThis @ £7.99/kg

or

Cementone? SBR Admixture White 5Ltr | NoLinksToThis @ £19.99 for 5ltr (do I need 5 litres? total area is around 75 sq feet...)

Assuming it is the right thing to use on this substrate, can you give me the recipe for
the slurry mix?

Cheers

Andy

Reply to First Attempt at Floor Tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have to lift a section of floor in the kitchen and would like to replace with the...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB