Discuss FIRST POST. FIRST "biggish" JOB. MARBLE. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dilz000

A warm welcome to everybody!

I've visited several times, but not had a reason to post. During the recession i lost my job and decided in a change of career, I did a 4 weeks tiling course in which I learned a huge deal, I had every intention of setting up self employed and starting from scratch... however, I was offered a job, and anybody with no income would be out of there mind to accept. So now, Im fairly settled in my new job, and the 4 on 4 off shift pattern leaves me spare time on my hands.

I've done a couple of small jobs for family, but now I have what I feel is quite a big job, I know its not for most of you, as some of the uploaded photos i've seen are amazing! Its for my Mum & Dad, hallway and bathroom floor, including UFH and they have decided on a Marble tile. I know that the toilet and sink need to come out, but I'm just wondering what else i need to know. Do i need to reseal the Marble once its been cut and laid down. Do I seal it before i grout. It was all covered on the course, but its a lot to cram in 4 weeks, and it was almost a year ago now.

Also if anybody around Cheshire area wants a dogs body a few days a week Id love to get more experience :]

T

tfs

you may already know that you will need white adhesive if tiles are light in colour. If you can work clean you can seal once tiles are down. For peice of mind though it is best to seal prior to having adhesive or grout anywhere near stone tiles.

Ensure that you sub floor is solid

If budget permits use and s2 adhesive, its usualy more cost effective to use a two part adhesive such as Keeraquick with latex plus to increase to s2 classification.

Skim back of all tiles

Try to keep the grout colour subtle to blend with the marble (my own prefference)

Wet cutter and grinder job

Get some diamond hole cutters for pipe etc (unless you can sett out in such away that two tile meet at pipes)

Clean stone with a diluted mix of cleaner such as Grimex by LTP prior to sealing

Seal more than once if required (at least twice)

Try to keep vulnerable tiles for cuts at edges (veigns and blemmishes etc)

Check coverage at regular intervals by lifting the odd tile as you go.

Work as clean as you can (clean as you go is good practice)

PLAN OUT WELL, TAKE AS LONG AS NEED WHEN SETTING OUT TO AVOID ANY MISTAKES.

D

dilz000

Hi guys, Im just in the process of ordering all my adhesives ect, is there a site that you could recommend from personal exp?

On a quick read the Keraquick sounds good, and I have read that its curing/dry time is longer than others, which for me, on this job, sounds like a good idea. Is the latex additive definatly worth the extra cost?

I've also another question on the sealer... Do I seal, and clean as I go, for example, wet cut tile to size, wait for tile to dry, clean and apply sealer to face and edges? and then fit. Does that sound correct, or do i not need to seal until after the floor has been laid? The tiles that will be used are...

Lemon Marble Wall/Floor Tile - Marble - Natural Stone

Again looking forward to your response's, thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to FIRST POST. FIRST "biggish" JOB. MARBLE. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
FIRST POST. FIRST "biggish" JOB. MARBLE.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.