Discuss first tile and its travertine french pattern 62m2 OMG in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

luke-e-boy

hello every body.
I have already used lots of the great hints and tips on your site to get me started. Bought a diamond blade wet cutter from screw fix.

Have my grout chosen and the adhesive on order. So far i have laid 8 tiles, just enough to get the boiler down so the underfloor heating can go on.

The concrete floor slab has been down for months but up here in Shetland the house has never dried out properly.

The travertine is sharp edged and the joint spacing is already a problem when i lay the pattern:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Looking forward to speaking with some of you soon

Regards Luke

J

jolly fix

HI and welcome,underfloor heating in other rooms?not in the room to be tiled?if in room to be tiled has it been coverd with slc?if tiling on top of u f h then best to leave u f h off for 2wks ,then turn on bit at a time over a period of time.when pattern set out did you find that the small tile had very tight joints,what size spacer are you going to use?you say the house has never dried out properly,but what about the floor?dont forget about expansion joints...some more details on tiling areas please....

L

luke-e-boy

Thanks for the fast response. The whole area has water underfloor heating in a concrete reinforced screed. The weather is so cold that we need to warm the house up just to check the slab is not going to contract to much. The few tiles i have laid are mostly going to be hidden under the boiler and kitchen units.

I have primed the concrete with dilute PvA to reduce dust. the problem with the spacing when you have two tiles with with joint laid next to one without a joint is currently my biggest issue. I was hoping to have a 4mm joint but its going to be very hard over such large areas not to go off line.

Not sure if i should cut every other small one down by 4mm or just learn to tile freehand ( have never learned to tile yet so its all pretty scary)

I phoned travertine direct and they said they had never had this problem before.

Regards Luke

S

steve187

Hi and welcome

I think you need to slow down a bit, the best way to get honest advice from the forum is to fully explain the job, you need to explain room sizes, with some pictures if possible, materials to be used, complete details of floor, how long laid, how thick etc. explain the job so that someone who hasn't seen it can picture it.

You seem to have made some basic mistakes already, Tiling a floor with expensive materials is a big under taking, and costly mistakes can be made.

Nyboy62 has made a valid point in his post, rethink the diy side of the job.

all the best.

L

luke-e-boy

Thanks for all the posts

Yeh I know its a Big Ask but financially I am not in a position to employ a tiler. The tiling is across 4 rooms. roughly a 1.5x 2.0m utiliy leading to a 3x4m kitchen then7x4 dining room into a 3x0.9 hall then a 2x3 bathroom. (sizes are very rough as plans are at home).
I suppose I will have to take some before and after shots and let Tile Forum members decide when its finished. (gulp)

If I can complete the utility room then i will attempt to complete the rest. If I cant do utiliy then I will employ a tiler.

regards luke

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
as suggested in post number 2 "I think" don't forget expansion joints in the tile face. I too would recommend an uncoulping membrane with this type of tile on this type of floor. also has the underfloor heating been run through its full comissioning cycle. This is essential before you lay the tiles. PVA is not suitable and should be removed and replaces with a proper primer.....

L

luke-e-boy

There will be no more tiling till the underfloor heating is commissioned. I think i am going to use a self leveling compound on the concrete floor because (despite the builders claims) it is pretty 'wavy' in places.

I am feeling pretty negative at the moment, but i want these tiles to last my family a lifetime and am willing to put in the hours to get it right. The prospect of cutting 4mm off the side of every other 8" tile is a little annoying, but I hate lines that are not straight.

Would it be possible to have straight line expansion joints across the doorways. There will be room for lateral expansion under the skirtings?

I would attach a copy of the floor plan but not sure how??

Reply to first tile and its travertine french pattern 62m2 OMG in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

hi all ,got called to price a travertine job that other trades have prepped, timber floors,green...
Replies
Views
Hi All Ive got a really nice job ive been recommended for, 77 sq mtrs of travertine. The...
Replies
Views
D
How to drill a hole in a steel bath. At 365Drills we provide either the equipment you need or...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
Been to quote on a job today and advice needed on this one I think! 50mt total area, 15mts is...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I’m still planning my first proper tiling job (in my own house) and have been trying to get...
Replies
Views
_Adrian
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
first tile and its travertine french pattern 62m2 OMG
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.