UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Fitting Marmox boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mcluma

I am new here and i have a question, and hope you can help

I am a bit confused about how to fix these marmox boards

The underfloor is 20mm boards, then 12mm ply en then 6mm marmox boards

these marmox boards will be fixed as well with screws and washers

but what kind of glue, or setting should I use to fix the marmox boards to my ply

when i bought them they said you can do it with just wood glue, or polyurethane

what is the best fixing, just set them with tile adhesive and screws?

Thanks
McLuma

M

Mcluma

Fitted the boards, and i am very happy had they worked for me

DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

S

Steve H

Hi Guys, apologies for jumping into this strand, but it is bang on subject for me. McLuma has done a great job, judging by the phots. I have not previously posted a question, because I find that you must have answered every question at least a dozen times. But, in a months time I am hoping to be a major player in tiling my own bathroom. The floor is currently chipboard on joists, I intended to overlay this with 12mm ply and then underfloor heating and then tile with porcelain tiles. I have been reading all the pinned threads on wet areas, when I discovered Marmox Board. I thought great, I will just use 10mm marmox board instead of the Ply, until I read McL's post and Gooner's response. Will it be the same for me Gooner, should I use an 18 mm ply, perhaps then I can use the 6mm marmox board? I also noticed that McLuma used an Addy, the Marmox site suggests that it can just be screwed to the underfloor, is it better to stick and screw? Hello to all you sage tilers, I feel like a young (53 yo), stood around the main group in the bar, listening to all the grown up conversation. Thanks for any offerings. I will be asking more daft questions over the next few weeks, I'm afraid. Steve

M

Mcluma

Steve,

Iam no pro, I, like you need a lot of information, and this forum provided it for me, but also a lot of common sense.

The marmox are perfect for tiling on, and when i bought them they told me to do fixings on every 30 cm (it says it on the instructions), to get better fixing to the floor and to get rid of every void I simply used a good tile adhesive underneath it, (call it overkill) but better done once good then have to redo it later)

It is all about movement in the floor, so the more different layers you do, the less movement there will be, (the sandwich method)

The one thing i did notice however is the amount of adhesive you use with the electric underfloor heating.

Another tip for using electric underfloor heating is, when you have layed out the netting etc, use an electric stappler to staple it to your marmox or ply, this will make life so much easier then the selfadhesive tape on the back of it.

Because you still walk over the netting it can easily move (not if you staple it down :thumbsup:)

D

Daz

Another tip for using electric underfloor heating is, when you have layed out the netting etc, use an electric stappler to staple it to your marmox or ply, this will make life so much easier then the selfadhesive tape on the back of it.

Because you still walk over the netting it can easily move (not if you staple it down :thumbsup:)
:yikes::yikes:

I would not recommend the use of a stapler, you don't want any stray staples damaging your heating wires. My advice (and most pro tilers advice for that matter) is to use a hot melt glue gun. You just need a few small blobs and your UFH matt and wires will be going nowhere.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Fitting Marmox boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.