Discuss Flex adhesive failure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

john faithfull

OK, if thats what you experts say, then I say that GRANFIX should put a warning on their bags in large capital letters to such effect.
Also define dry, left for one day in the sunshine, 10 minutes after wiping, kiln dry??? some moisture will always be present! The consequences are so awful, a simple warning on the bag would not hurt, hopefully through this website, others will not suffer as I have!

C

charlie1

OK, if thats what you experts say, then I say that GRANFIX should put a warning on their bags in large capital letters to such effect.
Also define dry, left for one day in the sunshine, 10 minutes after wiping, kiln dry??? some moisture will always be present! The consequences are so awful, a simple warning on the bag would not hurt, hopefully through this website, others will not suffer as I have!

sorry to hear of your failure but I think if they had to list all the fitting criteria for each type of tile on there bag then they would need a very large bag.

O

ozboz

Not good when this happens, but it would appear that the damp cloth treatment is the likley suspect for the failure, good idea to clean off the dust etc, but should have left them to dry out, as for your comments about Granfix, I never use them where I have control,and argure the point if they are supplied, I used their grout ond gave up after 10 m2 on a 250 + granite floor, apparently after my complaint went in,their MD told the shopfitters I was doing the job for that 90% of the trade uses Granfix products !!! ........Yeah .......Right .......So im not surprised at your comments Mate

P

Perry

Even if your tiles were wiped with a damp cloth if you buttered them they would have stuck but slate cannot be laid on top of standard flexible adhesive without skimming the back of the tile all adhesive companies recommend a solid bed on floor tiles the good news is you can use the tiles again so a lesson learnt find out before you rush ahead and this is the place to find out good luck : Pete. ( I would have used poribale thick bed ) and still would

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave Ramsden

In my opinion its purely because you have been wiping the tiles. Did you rinse the rag between wipes as the more you use the same rag you would be causing a residue on the back of the tile.
Tiles should always be totally clean and dry prior to fixing and where natural stone is concerned, you should cover the back of the tile with adhesive and scrape off again before laying each tile to aid adhesion.

Mixing adhesive either with a whisk or by hand will make no difference what so ever.

D

DHTiling

I disagree.

This is fixer error, the fixing method is knowledge by pro tilers and this is where the DIY blame anybody but themselves when their attempt at tiling fails.
Stone fixing isn't easy

J

john faithfull

I would like to thank all the experts for there advise, I have now refixed my tiles by
1) Mixing with a stick
2) Making sure the slate tile was dry
3) Back buttering the slate
All looks ok at the moment.
It looks like it was a fixing error, but my point is that neither the slate people I purchased it from, or the adhesive manufacturer through the instructions on the packet, or the adhesive sales rep on investigating the case afterwards said that I was doing it wrong. Hence what harm is there for the adhesive manufacturer to put a an explicit method of adhering slate tiles on the package for future diy people. I will let the slate supplier know the feedback from this website, and propose they put clearer instructions with the adhesive they recommended!

Reply to Flex adhesive failure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Flex adhesive failure
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.