Discuss Flexel ecofilm in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Just been speaking with a chap that installs Flexel ecofilm UFH.

I rang him because my customer mentioned a 'Cosifloor' UFH system and 9mm ply in the same sentence.

The expert told me he will be laying 25mm cosifloor insulation over a concrete base (conservatory). This is hammer fixed. Then he will lay Depron and the plastic heating element (flexel ecofilm). Then it is over boarded with 9mm ply screwed down on a 30cm grid ready for tiling. Total thickness 59mm

I've searched the web and could not find that the ecofilm system is suitable for ceramic or porcelain tiles. It does say that it is fine for laminate/wood/carpet.

I contacted the expert again and he says it is fine for tiling.

Has anyone come across this?

The 9mm ply frightens me a bit, but I guess SLC can't be used on this UFH film.

Do you think Ditra would be needed too?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Got a picture?

Flexel International are based in Scotland. Edinburgh if you want to give them a bell.
I used to supply their stuff.

If it's the film stuff I'm thinking of, it's not suitable.
BNLH4010.JPG

The same with Ribbon Underfloor Heating.

Cable only for tiles. In mat form or usual loose cable.

But not the film type above in the pic (not heard of your one).

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
No picture. The conservatory has only just been built. He said it was the film UFH and he has been laying it for years. I did see you used to sell the stuff Dan, as I searched this site, but nowhere can I find the film system being used with tiles.

He said as long as I used flex addy/grout I would be fine. He has never heard of a failure. We are talking of an area of 11sqm.

He says it's possible because of the 9mm ply overlay (screwed down).

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ply over the top of the film? Screwed between the film?
The film you can get in various widths. If he's screwed it down 300mm centres, and got between the 300mm film sheets, then perhaps treat it as a heated ply floor?

But if it's 500mm wide strips, so his screws about 550 centres, treat it as a ply floor not screwed down right lol

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
That's my conclusion too. That's the only one I can find. As you say, screwing down and missing the element is going to be a bit tricky. He did say he uses a template!

This guy talks a good talk.
Each floor has a template. Because you buy the film in lengths, usually 500mm wide, then the last run 300mm or whatever. So you send off a plan to the supplier, and they order you EXACTLY the kit to fit your floor (hence the EcoFilmKit name).

So he has a plan for it.

But I can't see why he would ply the floor on top. That air void isn't going to allow heat through (air is the best cheap insulation - hence double glazing, styrofoam for floors which is just holding pockets of air etc etc etc).

So it's not going to heat tiles.

I can't even see why he's done it. It's not cheaper! And is loads more labour.

What's under the ply? If it's concrete with no insulation that heating may as well be thrown out.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
As we suspected. Ecofilm is not designed for tile. It should only be used for wood/laminate. It does not like moisture (i.e. adhesive or bathroom environments). The tech guy at Flexel has never heard of anyone using ecofilm for tile because they have other products for tiled rooms.

Of course if it was used and it went wrong, then there would be no guarantee.

So that's it, I've had to walk from another job!

Strangely enough I quoted for tiling a porch for the same lady customer a couple of months back. It was quarry tiles that I said needed coming up or an uncoupling membrane laid first before it's tiled. Anyway she did not take my advice. She employed a decorator that said he could tile. She was not happy with his work, nor was she too pleased that he broke several tiles that cost her half a day in buying replacements. Needless to say he went straight over the quarry tiles with different grout line thickness's and only managed to tile 15mm from the skirting.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Flexel ecofilm in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
W
So you've just paid over €1,000,000 for your Spanish villa and you want the water contract and...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
S
Hi All, I have some 600x600mm Marble tiles to lay over an underfloor heating system and would...
Replies
Views
swampie
S
O
That emulsion is ok to tile onto, PVA primer is suitable to tile over, 9mm ply overlay is fine...
Replies
Views
can't say I've ever been a big fan of tiling over existing tiles but if the customer needed a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB