Discuss Floating Floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

gusgillespie

It is a serious question and iam checking this out on here for help, i have contacted the tile supplier and told him the situation and they said and i quote plenty of ply lining and you will be fine. We shall supply the best adhesive on the market. I was hoping for a little more support from a pro instead of knock back comment. I am meeting the customer tomorrow and would like to armed with other traders thoughts as help. sorry for not being as great as you Ajax 123.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
My apologies for being flippant. No offence intended but really thought it might be a wind up. Essentially it sounds like the floor is until able in its present state. The best adhesives in the market will not be flexible enough to take account of "plenty of bounce" and the installation is doomed to failure IMO. Take up the floater and put down a proper floor.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
The floor in its current state is not suitable for tiling regardless of what adhesive you use,am dissapointed in some guys replys on here if you have nothing constructive to add why bother,explain to the client the pitfalls and leave them to sort it out,its not a simple fix ripping the whole floor out and removing the polysterene balls then adding joists we dont all live in an ideal world guys.

T

Time's Ran Out

It is a serious question and iam checking this out on here for help, i have contacted the tile supplier and told him the situation and they said and i quote plenty of ply lining and you will be fine. We shall supply the best adhesive on the market. I was hoping for a little more support from a pro instead of knock back comment. I am meeting the customer tomorrow and would like to armed with other traders thoughts as help. sorry for not being as great as you Ajax 123.
When it comes to substrates Ajax123 is the man with the knowledge. If you are a tradesman going to charge a customer and have not got the experience of floating floors then don't be surprised if you get adverse comments as a basic course in floor preparation should be included on all 2 week courses.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
imo piling ply on top won't help, its still going to be a floating floor, your supplier isn't the one that's going to take the flack if it all fails, my advice would be to use karndean ....hope this helps.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok for this job you will need some tartan bonding this is the ideal bonding for this sort of installation then you will need 120 sky hooks to reduce the bounce. The best adhesive to use is silly and you will need a long wait to hold the tiles down.

is that the Mckenzie or the royal Stewart tartan deano....

T

Time's Ran Out

To those who don't believe that non constructive comments should not be posted Pooh!
This is a tilers forum for DIY to professional but when a DIY is pretending to be a professional then it's open season as far as I'am concerned.
What right has a novice to price up a 30m floor and come on here to ask how to do it?
You say we should help him fraudulently take someone's hard earned money by telling him how to do it - rubbish! This forum is for everyone to express their views and if it's not what they want to hear - tough IMHO .

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I must admit I agree with TJ, Deano, and Ajax on this. I do resent people asking how to do jobs when they are calling themselves pro tilers, I am in the middle of putting right a job that has been attempted twice by a so called "tiler" Gyvlon screed not prepared correctly, the poor customer is now paying me to rectify this very poor installation.

Good for me, but bad for our industry. So I think tilers should be aware how to prep substrates or not bother and leave it to the people who do know. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is how I feel.

Reply to Floating Floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB