Discuss Floating Floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

I kept out of it Doug.. wasn't the best thread to read IMO..

as for your question... i learnt the hard way.. tiled one with bounce a lot of yrs ago when green as grass and whoops ... never knew at the time it was a floater but lesson learned.. at least i admit it...

I do have a method i might use on small floaters when zero bounce and it works .. but large floors then nah.. i say nope. :)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I've actually come across OP, decent guy imo. Where, I wonder, did we all learn that floating floors shouldn't be tiled on?, was it something that we genetically inherited "don't tile floating floors" gene, or was it something we were taught, or maybe somehow along the line had the absolute audacity to ask? I can see the humour in some replies and had a giggle, but some posters need to get their heads outta their butts...unless of course they have the "know it all" gene.
where I live doug, it must be the floating floor mecca of great Britain, we have whole eastate's built with the bloody things, and ive been called out to many off them that have been tiled on and failed miserably ....

I've actually come across OP, decent guy imo. Where, I wonder, did we all learn that floating floors shouldn't be tiled on?, was it something that we genetically inherited "don't tile floating floors" gene, or was it something we were taught, or maybe somehow along the line had the absolute audacity to ask? I can see the humour in some replies and had a giggle, but some posters need to get their heads outta their butts...unless of course they have the "know it all" gene.

Well , seeing as you're asking. :)

I went to price a job in Bristol some 15-20 years ago , first floating floor I'd come across. It had lino down all through the hallway and into the kitchen diner and what first struck me was I could see all the ridges ( joins ) in the chipboard coming through the lino. Now having seen a chipboard job with cracks all along tiles where the chipboard joins were when I first started tiling - we tiling a pool there and someone else had tiled this floor before we got there - I was already wary of chipboard.

So , I got a mate of mine was a rep at the time to come with me and have a look . He was hmming and harring about ply then fast flex , then we got to the joints in the chipboard being fulcrums over which tiles could crack and I was already walking out of the door.

But what finally nailed it was when he stood in the door way and sort of jumped up and down , the floor was moving by probably 5mm-10mm. At which point I turned to customer and politely recommended more soft flooring.
So no , I didn't inherit it and luckily for me I didn't learn the hard way. I learnt by doing my research and checking it out then making the decision to walk away.

So to give the op his due he is doing the correct thing by doing his research , but he also needs to ignore the dafty posts on here - which are part and parcel of a forum like this imho - and sort the wheat from the chaff as it were.

Diggy :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi Andy,

Check out the links below both clearly state that they are suitable for floating floors

Tilemaster Adhesives Limited
Granfix Ultimate flex floor tile adhesive White - Ultimateflex white - Horncastle Tiles Ltd

Personally I would'nt touch one,But the manufacturers obviously support there product
for these type of applications.One even states "Perfect for Floating floors" ?!

For crying out loud. It has nothing what so ever to do with the adhesive.

There is no doubt that a floating floor can be successfully tiled IF it is designed to be suitable. Any flexible tile adhesive would be suitable to stick tiles onto a floating floor. This thread is about a floating floor that bounces. Floors that bounce are not suitable to receive tiles....

S

SJPurdy

well I never, I always thought you couldnt get anything more flexible than bal single part fast flex, and the last time I checked not even they would guarantee it on a floating floor, even if it did stick the tiles would prob's crack, so your still no better off....lol
That's interesting - I seem to remember that the 2 part fast flex was stated as suitable! It seems that BAL have realised its not a good idea to tile on floaters.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floating Floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB