Discuss Floating Floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

gusgillespie

Thank you for the helpfull comments from some people, as for the worlds greatest tilers on here, i have ten years trading behind me, completed and passed a two week training course. The reason for asking was,that i told the client it could not be done and to get a second opinion. The conversation with the tile supplier was brought up and i informed the client that the supplier was wrong and i would show her that other tilers would agree with me on forum.I was not asking how to do the job.As a first time user of this forum, i must say that i was not expecting the amount of REMOVED i received. It must be great sat at home slagging people off who DO work hard and DO Not rip people off. To all the members who are happy to gob off just remember somebody could be looking at your work saying "god thats a REMOVED job". So thank you for looking down on me from your wonderfull world of being the best and passing on your opinions. Do not worry i will not be asking for opinions again and will remove myself from this forum.

T

Time's Ran Out

I feel really bad about the post I submitted now. Here's me thinking he had been on a 2 week course to learn our trade and that was going to make him a tiler. The last thing I would want to do is stop him from working at the expense of a qualified tradesman. Still he knew from the start how not to do it and in a way we just confirmed his options - yeah right! That's another pretender exposed.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
You know at some point we all learnt the hard way we were'nt all tilers who knew everything from the minute we learned to lay a tile ,i agree so called tilers shouldnt be asking advice on a job they cant do or have no knowledge on what should and should not be tiled.

The point i was trying to make was ,how did you guys learn? you either asked or you watched someone deal with a similar problem,i mean i have been in the tiling game for getting on 25 yrs and have only had to deal with a handful of quotes for floating floors and the first one was only around 10 yrs ago,so from my point of view someone can go years and years without this cropping up,so why cant they ask on a Tile forum for help without being belittled or made to feel like an idiot,seems to me that a few guys let that trusted advisor tag go to their heads, if you dont want to help then dont post negative stuff it serves no purpose.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You know at some point we all learnt the hard way we were'nt all tilers who knew everything from the minute we learned to lay a tile ,i agree so called tilers shouldnt be asking advice on a job they cant do or have no knowledge on what should and should not be tiled.

The point i was trying to make was ,how did you guys learn? you either asked or you watched someone deal with a similar problem,i mean i have been in the tiling game for getting on 25 yrs and have only had to deal with a handful of quotes for floating floors and the first one was only around 10 yrs ago,so from my point of view someone can go years and years without this cropping up,so why cant they ask on a Tile forum for help without being belittled or made to feel like an idiot,seems to me that a few guys let that trusted advisor tag go to their heads, if you dont want to help then dont post negative stuff it serves no purpose.

my own expertise is substrates and a smattering of soft flooring and materials but it does not take experience or training to realise that you should not and cannot successfully tile a floor of any type that has "plenty of bounce" ... That requires common sense. If you place a sheet of glass on top of a sponge and then stand on it the glass will break.

Now then, if a tiler takes on a job of that nature with that knowledge he is guilty of negligence and if and when it fails he would be liable. If he takes on the job but does not know that it is not a suitable substrate then he is guilty of accepting a contract for which he does it have the bpnecessary expertise to fulfil and as such would be considered negligent so likewise when it fails he would be liable. I am not a tiler. I have never no even been on a tiling course although I have run quite a few on tiling to anhydrite screeds.

Common sense ought to be enough to ring serious alarm bells but my career to date has taught me that lots of people dont have common sense these days so i guess you have to rely on training. if a two week course does not teach you that tiles are rigid and adhesives are rigid and rigid strata will break when flexed then the course is frankly not worth going on.

My initial response to then OP was a little flippant. I am big enough to apologise if i cause offence when the written word does not convey the colloquial sentiment. however i maintain, jus like the OP, that my question was also serious because I foolishly believed that it was a wind up based on the fact that I cannot imagine that a professional tiler would even envisage tiling a floor of any type that has "plenty of bounce" let alone a floating floor.

My posts, at least I hope, are usually helpful, sensible and based n sound technical knowledge, experience and tempered with common sense. If the mods and the admins and the general populace in the forums disagree then I will happily accept censure. I will not however accept censure from anyone for saying what I believe is sensible... Even if it is sometimes flippant.

T

The D

sup m8 you don’t like me having a green tag m8 you can have it. Sorry you did not like my post but it was just a bit sarcastic unlike your post to me which was just being rude and to be honest you come across as a bit of a big girl

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
sup m8 you don’t like me having a green tag m8 you can have it. Sorry you did not like my post but it was just a bit sarcastic unlike your post to me which was just being rude and to be honest you come across as a bit of a big girl

Oh noooo!! ;-p

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Ajax my post where in no way aimed at one person just a genralisation,the point of the matter was once the op stated it was a serious question then why do people degrade the guy he has obviously came here for help on a problem he has never come across.

As it went on people where rude to the guy,the site is here for helping people tiling? or have i missed something,the arms is for pro's
i just dont see the point of people who represent the site as trusted advisors slaggin people off for asking questions before they have all the facts ,we are all guilty of not posting what we mean our posts to sound like but if people keep posting derogatory comments then no-one will recommend the site as a place for good advice.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool

Deano nah am not intrested in a green tag mate i just post my honest opinion,wasnt the case that i didnt like your post thought it was quite funny actually,but i didnt see what relevance it had to the thread,as my post above whats the point in having a tilers forum when people ask for help and are ridiculed,and if my post was rude i apologise but telling me to kiss your big fat one and me being a big girl is acceptable then shows your level of intellect.

M

Mark S

This kind of went viral.
To try and help the guy, I would suggest taking out the polystyrene balls, whatever depth they are!, replace with polystyrene boards or something similar to provide either an acoustic or thermal base. Then screed, depending on time scales from the client re when the job needs to be done, there are umpteen screeds that are dry to receive tiles after 24 hours, I would prefer to see a Gyvlon screed used obviously.
If the guy is still genuinely after some advise he can private message me and I'll do what I can to help.

M

Mr T

To those who don't believe that non constructive comments should not be posted Pooh!
This is a tilers forum for DIY to professional but when a DIY is pretending to be a professional then it's open season as far as I'am concerned.
What right has a novice to price up a 30m floor and come on here to ask how to do it?
You say we should help him fraudulently take someone's hard earned money by telling him how to do it - rubbish! This forum is for everyone to express their views and if it's not what they want to hear - tough IMHO .

i totally agree with this post this guy is cleary out in the deep end here ive got a bit of knowledge and i wouldnt even dare go and price up a 30 metre floor i mean im confident enough my tiling would be better than council standard but would only take small jobs and hes there talking about how hes gonna tile on what sounds like a trampoline it sounds like he shouldnt even be in any sort of trade to be so foolish hes obviously got no common sense

D

DHTiling

All,

Having read through this post to which I agree with the majority of points
made from both sides....lol

WHY are the adhesive suppliers (several of) claiming their adhesives are suitable
for "Floating Floors" ?

Ian.

Hi ian .. Adhesive comps do state that a floating floor must have virtually zero deflection... a floor that deflects will not be suitable for any adhesive comp to warrant the use of their products.

As always it is wise to speak to the adhesive comp which one shall be using at said time.

D

DHTiling

Thanks for the clarification Dave !

Its another case of doesnt do what is says on the tin/bag !

Small print I suppose.

Cheers
Ian.

I think it is mate... but i do agree it is wrong the way it is worded on bags... it should ALWAYS state about excessive movement .. see the thing is these adhesive are designed to adhere etc but it is the tiles that fail.. so where is the guarantee when tiles crack and the adhesive is intact..?

D

Dougs Third Go

I've actually come across OP, decent guy imo. Where, I wonder, did we all learn that floating floors shouldn't be tiled on?, was it something that we genetically inherited "don't tile floating floors" gene, or was it something we were taught, or maybe somehow along the line had the absolute audacity to ask? I can see the humour in some replies and had a giggle, but some posters need to get their heads outta their butts...unless of course they have the "know it all" gene.

Reply to Floating Floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB