Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Floor advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Hi Phil to add to what David said....one thing the engineers tell us in the seminars is that the movement joints should also be placed such that they divide the field of tile up into dimensions with ratio no more than 1.5/1.0. Ideal would be fields of tile that are bound by movement joints that divide the tiles into square fields, but this isn't always practical.

I see more and more masonry on buildings divided this way, with soft joints in the flat work and on the walls laid out in the ratio roughly 1.5/1.0 or even closer to 1.0/1.0. This is of course on jobs where there is enough money to pay for this work and where there are architects or engineers that are spec-ing this kind of detail.

D

david campbell

why not put it in the middle and work outwards from it so the floor looks symetrical:thumbsup:
you don't need to go to the 5m point before it is inserted as long as there isn't a run of more than 5m

i think rob means to put tiles into squares of say 6 x 6,giving 36 whole tiles and have expansions surrounding it to give a more asthetically pleasing look

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Hi Phil

If I knew how to draw diagrams with photoshop, I could post some on here to make it more clear.

What the engineering types say is that a floor that is a lot longer than it is wide, will experience more stresses (and uneven stresses) than a floor that is roughly square in the layout.

If a room is for example 8 feet X 24 feet, then for best practice the length of 24 feet should be divided into thirds with soft joints. This would then make three separate tile installations of 8 feet X 8 feet. As the tile experiences stresses from heat/cold, sunlight, floor loading and deflection, etc, the three separate 8' X 8' fields of tile will perform better than one field of tile 8' X 24'.

Most customers don't want to see anything going through the field of tile, not a soft joint material or Schluter Dilex or anything else. It's an uphill struggle trying to get folks to agree to this, but the facts are the facts and these are the recommendations from the engineers.

I try to get a compromise and get one in place, whenever possible. And I try to place them where they blend in, like in a doorway, or going under a island cabinet, or in some way that is less noticeable.

I have a kitchen/breakfast room floor coming up, and I'll place a soft joint at the end of the run of cabinets going to the back door. It will only be 4' long, but will nicely divide the two rooms without anything being too noticeable. It won't get the ideal ratio of 1.0 to 1.0 for each section of the floor, but will end up with the kitchen at about 1.5/1.0 and the breakfast room at 1.0/1.0.

I've never gotten a clear answer from Schluter about this, but I think for a warranty claim for Ditra, this is one thing they look for when evaluating a potential floor failure. I've had discussions with my local reps about this, but haven't taken the time to see what is said in writing in any warranty information.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Hi Phil, I know this is a problem...diagonal layout, running bond, opus pattern, any pattern...and having a soft joint through the field of tile is no one's first choice.

I point out to customers what we see in shopping malls here. There are elaborate tile layouts running all over the floors, and like clockwork there are soft joints placed every X feet (based on what the engineer spec'd), and with no regard for the design. They do these things because they work, but don't always look nice.

Good luck with this big job you have to start.:thumbsup:

Reply to Floor advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Poynton, cheshire

Thread Information

Title
Floor advice needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.