Discuss floor boards/ply on joists.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

if you were to tile an upstairs bathroom floor that was bad ply or rotting floor boards, or another instance of wanting to overboard but due to a height issue it would be better to rip out existing floor and re-board on top of joists... I've been thinking recently about how you would go about taking out the existing floor off it flows into the next room underneath the wall? any detail on this would be helpful in the future and the more info the better! thanks again

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Even when butted right up to boards a blade set at 19mm will only scratch the pipe.
Having said that I've had floors where the back of the boards have been chamfered off 'cos someone
couldn't be bothered to notch out further - shouldn't notch out at all but but they all do it!

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Or you could check out where the pipes go first by pulling up the odd board near radiators etc, then set your circular saw to 15mm and if you think there is a pipe in that area bend the partly cut floorboard up, have a look and if no pipe re-set your blade to 19mm and cut away, simples! If there is a pipe there use your multitool to carefully chop the 3mm of floorboard left around it :thumbsup:

T

tfs

Mr Tea bag,

In the situation you decribed you would need to lift some floor boards in ther next room until you get to the first joist at aither side of the wall (the first in batrhoon and first in bedroom for example)

At this stage you would cut and fix dwangs (noggins) between the joists.

It is not possible for you to fit new battons around the perimeter of a room if there is nothing to fit to so in your case you will need to remove part of the flooring at th other side of the wall. Once you have installed the dwangs (noggins) at 400 or 600 centres this will be sufficient for you to lay the new floor over.

If you choose to install a like for like replacement floor then you could simply slide the flooring under the wall if there were no fixings through the sole plate of the stud wall at that area.

hope this helps.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
It's about common sense at the end of the day, a circular saw set to a depth that will cut through the boards and not pipes.
I do a lot of plumbing and if I'm lifting 18mm boards to alter pipe work and I set my saw to 18mm then I have to go over it again at 19mm, sometimes 20mm just to get through the board. So I save myself the time and go 19mm and never so much as tickle a pipe.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to floor boards/ply on joists.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
I'm about to start on an upstairs wetroom. There will be wet underfloor heating going in via...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB