Discuss Floor Substrate Tiling Onto Solid Oak Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hello all,

So just been to view a job this evening......kitchen floor with 20mm solid oak flooring down which is glued......the client is insisting they don't want the oak flooring to come up & they would rather a decoupling membrane but I have recommended we get the floor up and tile to the screed.....the floor really is solid and there is just no movement or no hollow areas.......I also took some kickboards off and got chisel underneath but could not budge this oak floor, really solid, has been down for 3 years and no warping across the floor.......

The client thinks it's just Ott to take the floor up and insists on overlaying but I,m sticking to my guns here......just wondered what you guys thought and has anyone even over boarded onto solid oak as I've never heard of it!.....

Cheers

Mark

gamma38

TF
Bedford
If your worried about the timber moving with it just being glued why don't you say to the customer as a compromise that you will mechanically fix the boards to the substrate for piece of mind. One box of screws and plugs isn't going to add a massive cost in material or labour and then at least you know it's stuck.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
My solid oak floor had been down for about six years, that was glued!! when we decided to go for amtico, we left the oak down and latexed over it and installed amtico, three and half years down the line you can see every board where it has expanded and contracted with temperature changes over the seasons.
If I was doing your job I'd insist they have boards removed, if not get them to sign a waver for problems that may arise under your guarantee if you provide one.
There's no substitute for doing the job properly but if they are prepared to waive that at least you don't lose the work, and yes everybody else will comment that I am suggesting you do a substandard job.
Anyway that's my view.....and no swearing!!!!!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Lol!.......eh up AD Ceramics, where have you been hiding?.......have you been keeping s low profile since you got told off last time you were on the forums!:sweatsmile:

Anyway mate just reading through Your post and that is exactly what worries me mate!.....what do you think about mechanically screwing it into the concrete like gamma says??.....but this won't stop any warping if it occurs will it?

Thanks for the feedback.....surprised by the mixed comments on this one......interesting chinwag

Reply to Floor Substrate Tiling Onto Solid Oak Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I have recently laid around 30msq of porcelain floor tiles in our kitchen. The tiles have been...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB